Topic actions

First post, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, Im having problems with California Games 1 and 2

With 1 it says "You need more memory to play California Games"

With 2 I get "Please insert surfing disk"

If somebody could help it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 22, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-18%20at%206.09.13%20pm_zpsd5bsenlr.png

Reply 2 of 22, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-18%20at%206.14.37%20pm_zps6er2whzk.png

Reply 4 of 22, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, whats that?

Reply 5 of 22, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried loadfix but it only freed 64kb and Im not sure if I entered it in the right directory. I need 199K of RAM not 64kb?
Im not sure really what to do though. Am I doing it right?
Thanks

To start mm2.exe and allocate 64kb memory
(mm2 will have 64 kb less available):
loadfix mm2

Reply 6 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
glennhailstone wrote:
I tried load fix but it only freed 64kb and Im not sure if I entered it in the right directory. I need 199K of RAM not 64kb? Im […]
Show full quote

I tried load fix but it only freed 64kb and Im not sure if I entered it in the right directory. I need 199K of RAM not 64kb?
Im not sure really what to do though. Am I doing it right?
Thanks

To start mm2.exe and allocate 64kb memory
(mm2 will have 64 kb less available):
loadfix mm2

Is that what you're doing? You may need to try loadfix with bigger values, as in "loadfix -128 whatever.exe".

DOSBox provides somewhere around 640K of RAM by default, which is more than some older games expect. Loadfix thus reduces the amount of free RAM by 64kb (or whatever).

Reply 7 of 22, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thanks for your reply. I tried loadfix -199 calgames then it changed from 199 short and said you are 109kb short. So I tried loadfix -350 calgames then it said you are 260k short? wtj why would it say I need more when I gave it more than what it was asking for. And when I gave it less it said I needed less than when I gave it more!? hahaha

Reply 8 of 22, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just guessed and went loadfix -100 and it said you have more than enough memory dude. And then the game started! I don't know why but who cares! Thanks for the help!

Next problem is Cali games 2 asking for a disk. Do you guys know how to solve that.

Reply 9 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
glennhailstone wrote:

Ok thanks for your reply. I tried loadfix -199 calgames then it changed from 199 short and said you are 109kb short. So I tried loadfix -350 calgames then it said you are 260k short? wtj why would it say I need more when I gave it more than what it was asking for.

Read what I wrote again. Loadfix -350 means that you are reducing the amount of ram by 151K more than loadfix -199, so of course the game will say that it needs another 151K (since 260 minus 109 is about 151). But whatever, it works.

As for California Games 2, if you downloaded the game illegally from somewhere then you should ask for help from wherever you got the game. Illegally downloaded software is not supported here, especially since the download could very well be incomplete or otherwise corrupted. If you have your original disks, have you tried making images of them?

Reply 10 of 22, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Illegally? Yes I did download them but I didn't think I was doing anything illegal! These games are so old that I didn't think you could buy them anymore. So if you tell me where I can buy legitimate copies of these old school games I will be more than happy to purchase them?

Reply 12 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
glennhailstone wrote:

So if you tell me where I can buy legitimate copies of these old school games I will be more than happy to purchase them?

Keep watching eBay, I guess. At the moment there are various copies of the Amiga, Sega Master System, and SNES versions.

Reply 13 of 22, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What about PC dos versions. Most of these old games like Secret Agent Sam, Where In The World Is Carmen Santiago ect were not released on any other platform.

I thought thats what DOSBox was for! Playing old games? Feeling confused?

Reply 14 of 22, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox is indeed for playing old DOS games. 😀

It is NOT for stealing old DOS games.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox IS for playing Dos games. But this forum is not about breaking Copyright laws.
You do see the difference?
We will happily help owners of legit copies with running them through DOSBox, but we won't help with pirated versions.
Because
1. it's breaking the copyright law in most countries
2. those pirated copies are sometimes just bad rips and cracks and have problems the legit copy doesn't

When you registered here you acknowledged those rules. No matter what you feel about these copyright laws, please follow the forum rules.
For the record most people here do think the copyright laws are silly or shouldn't apply to abandoned software titles, but the developers of DOSBox and the owners of this forum do not want to be associated with pirates...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
glennhailstone wrote:

What about PC dos versions. Most of these old games like Secret Agent Sam, Where In The World Is Carmen Santiago ect were not released on any other platform.

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego was released on many platforms. In fact, it originated on the Apple II. And if you're referring to Secret Agent from Apogee, you can definitely still buy that.

Reply 17 of 22, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thats fine, thanks, I get it.

I emailed the website that I got my games from and asked them if their games were illegal copies. They told me all of there software is 100% legal and they do not support or condone any type of piracy.

Thank you for making me aware of this, now I will be more careful when looking for new games.

So getting back to my original question, does anybody know how to fix the disk issue with California Games 2.

Thanks

Reply 18 of 22, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And Mr Stiletto, I didn't steal any games. Im not a thief.

Just a question where do you guys get all your old games from. I doubt that everybody here has the original copies of all their original old school games with the original 8 and 5 1/2" disk drives somehow connected to new computers.

I will be interested to find out anymore legitimate websites who provide these games.

Thanks

Reply 19 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1st there is an edit button 😀

2nd, I still doubt it's a legit copy or it wouldn't ask for another disk. We can't help you with this. If you had a legit copy you would just be able to insert that disk (or if you made an image, switch images).

3rd if you download games from sites you are probably breaking copyright laws and thus are a thief but your morals could easily allow it 😀

4th, I do have a 3.5" usb drive to make images for those disks, I did this also with most 5 ¼ disks back when I had a machine with such a drive. Old games I buy these days that come with such disks are getting looked at mostly. If it is on GOG.com I'll just rebuy the game, gog is so cheap that I don't mind.

5th legitimate websites offering these games are few. Gog.com, EA's Origin, Steam are good places, some sites have official freeware. But in most cases, when the site mentions abandonware, or has a lot of free downloads, you can be sure it's not legitimate...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper