California Games 1&2 problems

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
glennhailstone wrote:

I emailed the website that I got my games from and asked them if their games were illegal copies. They told me all of there software is 100% legal and they do not support or condone any type of piracy.

I very much doubt they actually have permission from the copyright holders to distribute this game. They are probably operating under some misconception that because the game is no longer sold, it must not be piracy.

So getting back to my original question, does anybody know how to fix the disk issue with California Games 2.

As I already said: these are not original disks, so it is pointless to speculate. Why don't you email the website again? Tell them that if the game won't run, they should take the download down and replace it with a version that works and save people the trouble.

glennhailstone wrote:

Just a question where do you guys get all your old games from. I doubt that everybody here has the original copies of all their original old school games with the original 8 and 5 1/2" disk drives somehow connected to new computers.

Actually, some people probably do have their original copies. Otherwise, as I mentioned, GOG.com has plenty of games, and so does eBay. CD Access is pretty good for stuff that's not quite so old.

It so happens archive.org also has a copy of California Games II, but there has already been much discussion here that they don't know what they're doing.

(Also, disk drives are 3.5" and 5.25".)

Dominus wrote:
1st there is an edit button :) […]
Show full quote

1st there is an edit button 😀

2nd, I still doubt it's a legit copy or it wouldn't ask for another disk. We can't help you with this. If you had a legit copy you would just be able to insert that disk (or if you made an image, switch images).

3rd if you download games from sites you are probably breaking copyright laws and thus are a thief but your morals could easily allow it 😀

4th, I do have a 3.5" usb drive to make images for those disks, I did this also with most 5 ¼ disks back when I had a machine with such a drive. Old games I buy these days that come with such disks are getting looked at mostly. If it is on GOG.com I'll just rebuy the game, gog is so cheap that I don't mind.

5th legitimate websites offering these games are few. Gog.com, EA's Origin, Steam are good places, some sites have official freeware. But in most cases, when the site mentions abandonware, or has a lot of free downloads, you can be sure it's not legitimate...

Reply 21 of 22, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thanks. However, I don't like being called a thief mate, you don't know me I am not a thief. Like I said I will gladly pay for any old game, and I asked the website and they said its all legit.