VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rbamar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows 10, Norton Security blocking download of DOSBox. Rejects download calling it UNSAFE.
I am a new user, also requesting info on how to run my DOS Fortran programs and Batch Files.
BAT files, EXE, and data files are in different directories. Do I copy the entire file structure into
ne folder in DOSBox C Drive?

Reply 1 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rbamar wrote:

Norton Security blocking download of DOSBox.

An obvious solution suggests itself here. (I detest Norton)

rbamar wrote:

Do I copy the entire file structure into tne folder in DOSBox C Drive?

You can map any folder to a drive in DOSBox using the MOUNT command either within the DOSBox window, or in the conf file.

Also, have you explored the option of recompiling your Fortran software? F77 or earlier?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 11, by rbamar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GD: Thanks for response. I can work around Norton.
I see posts that seem to say that DOSBox will not work in WIN 10... ???
Recompiling still gives DOS program, no?? You must have something else in mind? Please advise.

Reply 3 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've worked with Fortran in VMS, Windows, Linux, etc using various compilers. Fortran is very compatible (except I/O files defined in VMS run scripts). That's what I meant.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 11, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Avast! Anti-virus, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. They are both free to home users, and I put them on every PC I fix/upgrade/build, except for the PCs where the user wants to use a certain anti-virus product (usually Kasperky, which is admittedly excellent). I really recommend you uninstall Norton and put Anti-virus, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on instead.

Avast! and Malwarebyte Anti-Malware also co-exist well together, which isn't something you can count on with many anti-virus programs. Avast! runs in the background, constantly checking for infections, whereas MAM has to be run by the user to check chosen files (in the free version, anyway, which is all that I use).

Chrome (the browser I mostly use) sometimes thinks a file I've downloaded might be infected, and so doesn't make the file available. In that case, I go to Chrome's menu, select Downloads, and on the Downloads menu I select 'Keep'. At that point, I'm almost certain the file is clean, since if not then Avast! would have detected and deleted the file, but since it's not, then I check the file with Avast! and then MAM, and if they say it's clean then I accept the file as being clean.

If I download a file that is infected, then Avast! usually detects it and stops the download. Offhand, I can't remember once when this hasn't happened.

Reply 6 of 11, by rbamar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for advice.
I have downloaded DIOSBox onto a WIN 7 computer, set up fully, mounted, etc.
When I try to run a Fortean Compiled .EXE program I get this message:
THIS PROGRAM CAN NOT BE RUN IN DOS MODE.
What can be the problem? Thanks

Reply 8 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Again, ask DOSBox questions in the DOSBox forum. This one is for Windows games.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers