VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chyros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiya guys,

In all menus and the like, the screen lags behind one keypress in all cases. For example, the game might start up a main menu without any text on it which is supposed to read "press any key to start". Then, when you press a key, it gives you the "press to start" screen. If you're then supposed to press "P" for play and press "P", it will display the main menu, etc. Unfortunately the game still only accept the input you cannot see, which makes it hard to work because you cannot see what you're supposed to press.

Also, if you have to scroll though options in a list, the selection arrow NEVER matches up with the actual selected option, as a result, and when you select it, nothing happens until you start playing, at which point it will start the game.

This makes many games virtually unplayable and I don't know what it's coming from. I've tried to reinstall DOSBox, but to no avail. I'm running 0.74 on Win 7 and haven't had any problems before with this setup, although I've had it for a while now.

Please can anyone help me? 🙁

Reply 1 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would help to know what game(s) you are talking about. Did you download DOSBox from dosbox.com? Have you changed your conf?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 9, by chyros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This happens in all games. I've downloaded it from dosbox.com, yes. I've changed the config a little bit but really only to change cycles amount, up and down. Moreover I didn't chance the config when the issue suddenly happened.

Reply 4 of 9, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trying changing the priority in the dosbox conf file from higher,normal to normal,normal . Most games from GOG are set to higher,normal. I find that there is more a problem of "keyboard stacking" (where holding down a key for one second generates like 4 seconds worth of repeated characters) than lagging, where as in a real vintage PC it would just start beeping at you for holding it down that long.

See also How to increase keyboard response time in Dosbox?

The other possibility (I'm trying to figure out if the poster is describing a latency problem, or a video problem) is that if it look like it's a frame behind, check if double-buffering is turned on or off and switch it. Because that IS effectively what double buffering is.

Reply 5 of 9, by chyros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I just tried it on normal,normal but that doesn't work, unfortunately.

I can't see an option for double buffering anywhere, what should I look for? The only "buffer" thing I could find was "prebuffer=20" which I tried setting to 0 and to 1024, but neither worked (if anything, it got worse).

Reply 8 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good that you were able to fix it.

Can you list your complete system specs on which you faced this problem? It might be helpful to tackle the issue in future, with similar setups.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers