VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I notice that when using both Dosbox 0.74 and my own emulator (x86EMU), keyboard won't work when connected using Microsoft's Remote Desktop application on Android. PC version of Remote Desktop works without any problems. Stuff like Windows 10's cmd.exe and normal software(windows native applications) still process input, but Dosbox and x86EMU won't input anything when typing in the ms-dos prompt(Dosbox) or anywhere(x86EMU).

Is this a basic problem with SDL? Anyone knows the cause of this?

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 1 of 6, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Off the top of my head, it's likely because the emulation software's SDL isn't looking at input from all devices, only the first device. When you connect to a Windows Machine's Remote Desktop, it's actually a "virtual screen, keyboard and mouse" under terminal services that is created and destroyed each time the Terminal Services are invoked. And if it's not that, it's because of a security issue that would normally invoke UAC. As it is "DirectX" isn't supported under Terminal Services, so Dosbox is going to go through a software emulation layer.

I just tried Dosbox (http://ykhwong.x-y.net/)'s build under RDP and it works fine from my Mac to my Windows 10 PC. So it may be more likely the problem is the RDP app.

Reply 2 of 6, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like I said Windows 10's RD client works without problems.

Android's Microsoft Remote Desktop (8.1.30) only has problems with Dosbox and x86EMU, both are SDL-based applications. All stuff other than those two applications receive keyboard input without problems.

Would Microsoft really make such a simple error in their own app? Since they actually created the Remote Desktop Protocol, that sounds highly unlikely though?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does using WINDIB make it work?
Do SDL2 applications have this issue?
ScummVM and Exult are SDL 1.2 as well if you want to try those.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 6, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
superfury wrote:

Like I said Windows 10's RD client works without problems.

Android's Microsoft Remote Desktop (8.1.30) only has problems with Dosbox and x86EMU, both are SDL-based applications. All stuff other than those two applications receive keyboard input without problems.

Would Microsoft really make such a simple error in their own app? Since they actually created the Remote Desktop Protocol, that sounds highly unlikely though?

Without actually having an actual Android device from which to test, I'm going to suggest it's the softkeyboard.

So I downloaded RDP to my iphone, and sure enough, the only key that gets through is the return key. The soft keyboard doesn't send keystrokes. This is likely because the softkeyboards on phones and tablets don't send "keystrokes" they send words.

Reply 5 of 6, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What do you mean they send words? Do you mean words, like data words (16/32 bit integer values)? Or words like I'm typing here?

If it's words I'm typing only (no F keys(F1-F12 etc.)), then why do things like the command prompt and other windows software correctly receive input (including enter and the ctr/alt keys etc.) through the remote control software on the Android?

Shouldn't all input get translated into keyboard input (key press/release codes) to be processed by the PC's IRQ1(or equivalent) handler? If only enter gets through, why not other keys? Why does only enter work(and not other stuff like text and special keys, like ctr/alt/shift)?)?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 6 of 6, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
superfury wrote:

What do you mean they send words? Do you mean words, like data words (16/32 bit integer values)? Or words like I'm typing here?

If it's words I'm typing only (no F keys(F1-F12 etc.)), then why do things like the command prompt and other windows software correctly receive input (including enter and the ctr/alt keys etc.) through the remote control software on the Android?

Shouldn't all input get translated into keyboard input (key press/release codes) to be processed by the PC's IRQ1(or equivalent) handler? If only enter gets through, why not other keys? Why does only enter work(and not other stuff like text and special keys, like ctr/alt/shift)?)?

You're not the first person to notice this.

https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/26 … rtualbox-pidgin

Try bringing up Windows on screen keyboard (not the one in Android/iOS) and that should send keys to dosbox. It's not very useful especially on an phone however.