VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheAlmightyGuru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ordinarily when I want to install a program from multiple floppies, I mount a folder on my hard drive as my A drive, copy the first disk's files into the folder, run the installer, and then each time it asks to enter the next disk, I replace the files in the folder with those from the next disk, hit CTRL+F4 to reset the drive, and continue on. This has worked fine for a lot of games, but I'm having trouble with the early Sound Blaster and SB Pro installers (thank you VOGONS Vintage Driver Library!) because they are expecting the floppy disk to have a specific disk label.

I saw a forum post which talked about using imgmount to mount multiple floppy images, but the disk images from VOGONS are in IMA format, and imgmount says that multi-image support only accepts CUE and ISO format.

I'm assuming this issue has already been addressed, but I couldn't anything. Can anyone help?

Reply 1 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you need the SVN of Dosbox and then you just use "imgmount a some_path\1.ima some_path\2.ima some_path\3.ima" and when you need to switch floppy disks you hit ctrl+f4

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not supported in 0.74, but SVN versions of DOSBox support mounting multiple floppy images. One of the older SVN Daum versions should probably do the trick. Alternatively, I think you can still use Virtual Floppy Drive.

If you really get stuck, sometimes you can get away with manually extracting all the files from the disk images and putting them into a new CUE/BIN with the proper label, but that's a kludge.

Reply 5 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

it should

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 13, by TheAlmightyGuru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to your help, I was able to install the Sound Blaster Pro drivers, all the files copy correctly, but there is a hiccup in the configuration. The installer crashes trying to update the Autoexec.bat file giving the error "Can't close file Z:\Autoexec.bat!" I'm not sure why the installer is looking on the Z drive for the Autoexec.bat file when my DOSBox folder is mounted as C, and told the installer to install on the C drive. This error halts the installer, and I think blocks the Config.sys from being updated, because none of the drivers get properly loaded, so I can't run any of the SB Pro's software. Anyone know a way to bypass this, or know what change needs to be added to config.sys? Thanks!

Reply 7 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is no config.sys in normal dosbox. You could make a hatd drive image, make it bootable, boot from it in dosbox, then run the installer and then see what it does to config and autoexec. But in normal dosbox config.sys is not being used

Reply 8 of 13, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAlmightyGuru wrote:

Thanks to your help, I was able to install the Sound Blaster Pro drivers, all the files copy correctly, but there is a hiccup in the configuration. The installer crashes trying to update the Autoexec.bat file giving the error "Can't close file Z:\Autoexec.bat!" I'm not sure why the installer is looking on the Z drive for the Autoexec.bat file when my DOSBox folder is mounted as C, and told the installer to install on the C drive. This error halts the installer, and I think blocks the Config.sys from being updated, because none of the drivers get properly loaded, so I can't run any of the SB Pro's software. Anyone know a way to bypass this, or know what change needs to be added to config.sys? Thanks!

Try making an empty config.sys and an empty autoexec.bat like in some windows..

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 9 of 13, by TheAlmightyGuru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

lightmaster: Thanks for the idea. I tried doing that, but it looks like the installer just wants to write to the Z drive before the C no matter what, and it turns out there is no way (short of rebuilding) to change the system drive letter. 🙁

Dominus: I tried following the DOSBox Wiki for creating a bootable image, but I can't get it working using their steps. I'm assuming the Wiki is just skipping steps I should know. But when I run "boot myimage.img" I just get "F1 . . . DOS, F5 . . . disk 2, Default: F?", and then nothing I do gets me any further, every keypress just repeats the same message. Any idea what I might be missing?

Reply 10 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The installer may be using the COMSPEC environment variable to decide which drive to use. Try something like this:

mount c c:\dos
c:
copy z:command.com
set COMSPEC=C:\COMMAND.COM

Then run the installer as before and perhaps it will use the C: drive instead of the Z: drive.

However, note that any device drivers (.SYS) loaded in CONFIG.SYS won't work in DOSBox unless you boot real DOS.

Reply 11 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAlmightyGuru wrote:

But when I run "boot myimage.img" I just get "F1 . . . DOS, F5 . . . disk 2, Default: F?", and then nothing I do gets me any further, every keypress just repeats the same message.

Which instructions and which image are you using, exactly?

Perhaps an even better question is, what do you hope to accomplish with the SBPro software?

Reply 12 of 13, by TheAlmightyGuru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ripsaw8080: Thank you, this worked! It installed correctly found the Autoexec.bat on the mounted C drive and updated it without error. It doesn't look like the installer tried to modify Config.sys, as the file remained empty.

Jorpho: My goal is to get the original SB Pro 1 software running so that I can document the software for a web site.

The installer finished, but it looks like some of the *.DRV files weren't getting loaded into memory properly. After manually copying them around where they needed to go, everything started working! Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all your help!

Last edited by TheAlmightyGuru on 2016-07-12, 19:00. Edited 1 time in total.