VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can we talk about how to run Windows 9x, 1x, 2x, 3x in dosbox?

Reply 1 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Everything you might want to know is already in the Guides subforum.
DOSBox Guides

Running Windows 95 in DOSBox is not supported and is generally not discussed, but you will find some talk about it in there anyway, as well as all over the rest of the Internet. In fact, I'm sure you can find completely illegal pre-packaged distributions somewhere or another.

No one talks about running Windows 1.x and 2.x in DOSBox because that is generally quite pointless. 😜 Regardless, I would not expect there to be any difficulties involved in doing so, as 3.x already runs adequately.

Discussion of where to obtain illegal copies of any of the above is not allowed.

Reply 2 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought that support for Windows 1 was broken and would not be fixed, but as you note, what's the point.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 7, by Dagar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had Windows 95 set up with DOSBox for quite a while to play some older games. For the most part is was working nicely. However any time I tried installing something from CD, on reboot it would give Page Faults that could only be fixed by restoring my back up image. No amount of changing CPU type, core, cycles, DOSBox version (SVN, 0.74, 0.73..., Daum, etc) would remedy it. It was impressive that DOSBox worked as well as it did with my testing it with Windows 95.

Reply 4 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I run Windows 3.1 in DOSBox all the time, or at least I used to... It works of course, but there's not much point in it as you're already running a graphical environment if you're using DOSBox, and more general emulators like PCem, VirtualBox, etc. are far better suited to 3.1 & 9x emulation.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 7, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you run Windows (3.1, or 95, or XP, whatever) then can you run DOSBox in that version of Windows? And if so, then can you run Windows in that DOSBox-that's-in-Windows-that's-in-DOSBox? And if so, how many levels of emulation could you get running, and what factor would stop this otherwise infinite loop of DOSBox in Windows in DOSBox in Windows in DOSBox in Windows etc?

Maybe it would be better with Bosch or PCem or something. Or better not to try it at all! But theoretically, is it posible?

Reply 6 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why don't you try it and tell us all about it?

I can tell you that you certainly won't be able to run DOSBox in Windows 3.1, and you won't get XP running in DOSBox. You can actually run DOSBox in DOS with HX DOS Extender, but I'm not sure what happens if you try that in DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know i've run DOSBox in PCem before, which is reasonable because PCem actually supports Windows 95. So in essence, this is a x86 dynamic recompiler working with another x86 dynamic recompiler, and nothing is royally screwing up on the way there.

Attachments

• deeper.png
    Filename
    deeper.png
    File size
    25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem