VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lolattackz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Recently, I tried using DOSBox to play Heroes of Might of Magic 2 on my PC, mostly because, as my PC is on 64-bit Windows 7, it cannot normally run HOMM2, which is a 16/32 (I'm not sure) bit game. The problem is that, to fully play the game, I have to run the "setup" program, but it won't let me. I go to the directory it's in through DOSBox, type in the name of the program to run it, and it gives me a message saying that the command it runs when I open an .exe file is illegal (pics attached of the file I'm try to run and the message it gives me when I try to run it). I think the problem is that the program I'm trying to run requires administrator privileges, but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me?

Edit: Refining the title a little

Attachments

• pic2.JPG
    Filename
    pic2.JPG
    File size
    32.97 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The message I get when I try to active the file I need to run.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • pic1.JPG
    Filename
    pic1.JPG
    File size
    23.68 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The file I'm trying to activate (third from the bottom, note the little blue and yellow shield indicating that admin privileges are needed)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by lolattackz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lightmaster wrote:

It's a windows program not a dos one..

So, what do I do? Use something like VirtualPC? I can't run it in the normal Windows OS that's on my PC because the program's way out of date.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The easiest thing to do would be to buy whatever version GOG.com is selling.
https://www.gog.com/game/heroes_of_might_and_ … _2_gold_edition

But after a little Googling it looks like there should be a DOS version on the CD. I see you've changed to the "_setup" directory in DOSBox; isn't there another installation program in the root of the CD (that is, in E:\ ) ?

I have no idea why you're typing "mount c E:\" and then "mount e E:\ -t cdrom", as that is never, ever going to work. Have you read the "60 Seconds Guide" ?
60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

Googling also suggests that the Windows version is 32-bit, so it should still run if you can get it installed – but even if the program is 32-bit, it might still be using a 16-bit installer that will not run under 64-bit Windows. Fortunately, there are ways to get around that as well.
https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988