VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by _J_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to work on my WINDOWS 7 with programs made in Clipper.
And the problem I have is that only half the screen is displayed.

I have tried changing several settings and I get absolutely nothing.
Could someone advise me how to solve it?

Tks friends 😊

Attachments

• DOSBOX_SCREEN.jpg
    Filename
    DOSBOX_SCREEN.jpg
    File size
    144.92 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    In Windows 7 - Half screen
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DOS_SCREEN.jpg
    Filename
    DOS_SCREEN.jpg
    File size
    813.26 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    In Windows XP - Entire screen
    File license

Reply 1 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox emulates a DOS PC, not the Windows Command Shell. However, you can try running the 8x12_50 program here in DOSBox before running your Clipper app, which will set up a 50-row text display with the default Windows Terminal font you might be used to seeing.

Reply 5 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Surely you can throttle vDOSBox and/or downgrade the core to a 386 equiv? Probably give them a shout.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 12, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why do you want to use DOSBox for your program? Try using a VM with MS-DOS installed and that should do the job.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 7 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The problem you're having seems to be that your app expects the display to already have 50 rows, but real DOS systems, DOSBox, and probably any branch of DOSBox you're trying to use, have to be *instructed* to switch to 50 rows. There are a number of ways to switch to 50 rows, but I'm not sure if vDosPlus supports them or not. However, it sounds like you haven't tried the 8x12_50 program I linked to, so try running that in DOSBox 0.74 or SVN before running your app.

Reply 8 of 12, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

50 rows? That's strange. Why they didn't went for something more standard like 80 columns?

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 9 of 12, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
olddos25 wrote:

50 rows? That's strange. Why they didn't went for something more standard like 80 columns?

One of these things

olddos25 wrote:

rows

is not like the other

olddos25 wrote:

columns?

MSDOS initializes the display into 80 columns by 25 rows. By switching to an 8 pixel high font, one may achieve 80 columns by 50 rows on the same physical resolution.

For a fun contrast, try switching to a 40 column video mode. This is what the old Apple II computers were limited to before the advent of 80 column display adapters, and those 80 column display adapters rendered a really hard to read display on the old CRT monitors of the time, considering their usually large beam and blur due to intensity. Then again, maybe I just had really crappy CRTs before I got the RGB monitor with the IIgs, which certainly rendered 80 columns just nicely.

Reply 11 of 12, by _J_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JosSchaars wrote:

You can set the number of rows by lins=xx in config.txt.

As you indicated by modifying LINS in config.txt file of vDosPlus, I can already see the full screen.
Yes it is true that I can see everything on a single screen but I find that the text size is too small.
Is there any way that the text is bigger and can be seen better? 😉

Attachments

• CapturaWIN7.JPG
    Filename
    CapturaWIN7.JPG
    File size
    249.28 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 12 of 12, by JosSchaars

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It appears you’ve set the number of columns to 84, and also the number of lines some 4 too high. Though setting these to the values 80x50 your program expects, could result in the same font size.

How do you expect the font to be made bigger, your DOS screen obviously wouldn’t fit any more on the Windows desktop. You could try a font like Consolas that is a bit wider (I think). If you really want the font and DOS screen bigger, you have to turn the monitor 90 degrees. So it is in portrait mode, like your DOS screen.