VOGONS

sound and speed problem

Topic actions

First post, by guest

User metadata

a yr ago, I was running dosbox and some old games...
seemed perfect.

however, I tried again recently, and the sound was kinda not continuous, and the speed seemed very slow, I tried ctrl-F12, it seemed even slower... anyone know what's wrong?

thanks!

Reply 1 of 20, by D-xiansheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What are your PC specs, what OS, and what other software were you running at the same time?

Reply 2 of 20, by Guest

User metadata

i'm using the same computer, p4-1.8 ghz, XP, and no other softwares running simultaneously.

thanks!

Reply 3 of 20, by D-xiansheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Open you dosbox.conf file in notepad and check out the [sdl] section. There's an option in it called "output=". Try out a few of the other renderer options (they're listed in a comment just above it). Type each in and save, one may perform better with your card.

Don't only use the CTRL+F12, try CTRL+F11 too. Sometimes lowering the cycles has actually speeded up the game for me because DOSBox emulated above what my PC could handle at default.

Lastly, type CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up task manager and make sure there's no rogue applications running in the background munching all your CPU power. You may also want to run a spyware checker if you use Internet Explorer since those can bog down your machine in secret.

Best advice I can give, maybe some of the other users here will have more ideas for you. Your processor sounds plenty powerful.

Reply 4 of 20, by Guest

User metadata

hi, tried your advice, still didn't work.
but thanks for your suggestion...

it's weird.. I ran on the same machine a yr ago, it was fine.. but doesn't seem to work... maybe it's gotta do with my computer settings.. somewhere...

Reply 5 of 20, by D-xiansheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried output=ddraw? I'd think that would work very well on newer cards ...

Reply 6 of 20, by Guest

User metadata

I did, I tried every option....
it worked perfectly last yr.... on the same computer....

not sure why. maybe I need to reinstall windows? haha.. nah...

Reply 7 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What game are you trying to run?

Reply 9 of 20, by Guest

User metadata

just that it worked perfectly a yr ago, i could speed up by ctrl-12, and the sound was perfect... and now it's stuttering, and i CANNOT speed up the game, even when i press ctrl-12, still slow...??????

Reply 10 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try older versions of DOSBox or just 0.63?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 11 of 20, by D-xiansheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guest: Which Taiwan game? I play a lot of the old Taiwan DOS games and noticed some serious lag in 神雕侠侣 (我只能写简体字,如果你只读繁体字必须用Firefox的同文堂看我写的字:()

Most run OK though. I have no stuttering in 轩辕剑二, 魔道子, 金庸快打, 格斗拳王 or 三国快打 even when I play them at 1024x768 with the new hq2x video filter from the CVS DOSBox.

Reply 12 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Totallty off-topic, but it's amusing: Your post renders here (West Europe) like "... noticed serious lag in <empty box><empty box><empty box><empty box><empty box><empty box><empty box> (<empty box><empty box><empty box> Firefox <empty box><empty box><empty box>)" 😉
I have never heard better textual representation of "I didn't understand anything at all, but I think he said 'Firefox' " 😀

Reply 13 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can see the Asian characters - you have to specifically install those (don't remember whether it's the browser or the OS)

Reply 14 of 20, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

control panel -> regional and language options -> languages -> check these two boxes for foreign languages -> ok 😀

Reply 15 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wehell, this is linux (of course 😉 ), and the selected font probably just doesn't have these characters. Even if it did, I couldn't read it aloud, let alone understand it. It's just funny how the boxes express exactly what I'd think if I saw the true characters: "Huh?" 😉

Reply 16 of 20, by D-xiansheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hrm ... do you have the proper i81n package installed? I used to use TurboLinux for Japanes and Chinese stuff before I had my laptop and it always showed both perfectly.

Maybe you need to do something with your UTF-8 mapping if you have the fonts installed?

Reply 17 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got original windows fonts installed, which is probably the reason: Stock "Arial" doesn't have the characters, and I didn't bother to hunt down the unicode extended versions. I don't care, since I can't read it anyways. As long as I get a proper empty box (instead of character garbage, as it has been in the past), I'm happy 😉

Reply 18 of 20, by D-xiansheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tahoma would probably be your best bet. or you could always just install SongTi and MingLiu.

Reply 19 of 20, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
`Moe` wrote:

Wehell, this is linux (of course 😉 ), and the selected font probably just doesn't have these characters. Even if it did, I couldn't read it aloud, let alone understand it. It's just funny how the boxes express exactly what I'd think if I saw the true characters: "Huh?" 😉

yeah, but characters compared to empty boxes can be translated with babblefish 😉