VOGONS

First post, by Guest

User metadata

In general dosbox is performing pretty well on my machine. (v0.63)
Athlon FX 53
1Gb memory
Geforce FX 5950 Ultra
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZX

I'm looking for advice on boosting the performance a bit on System Shock.
I'm running it full screen on max resolution but sometimes the input is a little bit laggy (turning for example in cyberspace). I want to keep the max res but investigate other approaches for speeding things up.

What would be the recommended CPU cycles? I'm running at 10000 which already sets the CPU to 100% but it does improve setting to 20000.

Are there any conf settings that could be done which wouldn't impact the graphics too much.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Reply 1 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using the dynamic core and DOS32A? You also might try setting frameskip=1 or 2 if you can stand it (it will make the game more choppy).

You could also try different output= settings, and make sure you've got scaler=none.

Reply 2 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Setting to dynamic core causes the game to crash so it is on normal. I wasn't sure what DOS32A was.
I wasn't to avoid the frameskip because as you said it doesn't make it look that good.
output=surface is definately the fastest and scaler=none compared to normalx2 doesn't seem to make a difference.

Reply 3 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please, there is a SEARCH FUNCTION, if you don't know what DOS32A is you can always look for it.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Considering that you almost have probably the fastest processor that is widely available, plenty of RAM and good enough graphics and sound cards there isn't much you can do with the game to speed it up at this time, unless DOS32/A can help you out. I do believe that the FX models have unlocked multipliers, so overclocking may be in order. Then again, you may have to wait for dual core 64s. I'm not sure what kind of systems they had in mind when they allowed System Shock to use the SVGA (640x400/480) resolutions.

Reply 5 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

So is there a relationship between clock cycles for dosbox and the Mhz of the processor to work out the optimum level? Is 20000 too high or too low or the optimum setting?

Reply 6 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Update: Tried DOS/32A. Causes the game to crash, so no help there.