VOGONS

Common searches

missing z prompt

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Harve White

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found what you said but I don't know any values. Please show me some examples to try exactly as you would do it if it were you with my situation. As it says under my name, Newbie. I am winging it the best I can but really don't know anything other than what you tell me. Please do not assume I know anything. I don't. I need to be shown step by step if this is to be corrected. Thank you for your patience. (As an example, when I went to edit the config file I thought it wasn't there. I had an epiphany and put *.* on the bottom and the config file appeared. I was lucky.)

Reply 21 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Collector wrote the values down.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 23 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
collector wrote:

Open C:\Users\harve\AppData\Local\DOSBox\dosbox-0.74.conf in Notepad. Under the [sdl] section look for output= and try other valid values, surface , overlay , opengl , openglnb or ddraw.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 24 of 29, by Harve White

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your repeated responses. Are there numerical values associated with the "valid values"? Do I just plug in numbers to see what happens or do I write, one at a time, "surface", "overlay" "opengl", "openglnb" and "ddraw"? Since I don't know what those terms mean I have no idea what to do with them. I keep saying I know nothing about this and ask for examples that I can copy. Please treat me like an idiot child that must be led step by step by the hand. I really want to get this done for my wife and feel I am lost in a foreign country with no guide book.

Reply 25 of 29, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Find the line that says output=something (this should be at the very start of the line, not a line with "#" at the start [left side] of the line). It won't actually say something but will have one of the choices listed in the previous message.

Change whatever word is after the equal sign replacing it with one of the choices listed in the previous message; no numbers; only the words (without quotation marks). For example, if it doesn't say surface already, change it to:

output=surface

Save the file. Start DOSBox. If that doesn't fix the problem, close DOSBOX, edit the same file again, but this time, change the line to:

output=overlay

Save the file and try again. Continue until you find something that works, trying opengl, etc., etc., until you find one that gives you visible text.

Reply 26 of 29, by Harve White

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Using "overlay" worked! I don't know why it went from working to non-working but thanks to everyone's help I have the multi-coloured Welcome to DOSBox v0.74 and especially my z prompt back. Now for 2 other questions. First, will there ever be an upgrade (perhaps a v0.75)? Second, what are SVN builds and should I try one? If so, which one? You guys are the best!

Reply 27 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If everything works, and it probably does, don't bother with SVN builds

Reply 28 of 29, by Harve White

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We just played Jazz Jackrabbit and it worked perfectly. Thank you again. I will follow your advice and not bother with the other. My wife asked me to ask you if there is any way to increase the size of the playing window. It now occupies only about 1/6th of the screen.

Reply 29 of 29, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dang, your wife sure is hungry of knowledge. Then knowledge she will get. Go to the config file again and search for the line that says "windowresolution=" (without the quotes). Then change that parameter with the resolution of your desire. For example, let's say you want the window to have a resolution of 1024x768, then you set the parameter to that and it would end like this: "windowresolution=1024x768" (again, without the quotes). Hope it was useful. Ah, and tell your wife to join this forum. We need more women here.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)