VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by john_2019

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have some game which requires to have CD inserted in CD drive. Of course, I haven't this CD (I have lost it long ago). But I have this game in BIN/CUE format.

Here is the dosbox.conf which I use for this game:

[cpu]
cycles=20000

[autoexec]
imgmount j "c:\users\john\downloads\games\this game\game.cue" -t iso

For some reason, it requires the "j" letter and doesn't work with arbitrary one (for example, "x" or "y"). I suppose it's due to the configuration of my PC:

drives.PNG
Filename
drives.PNG
File size
15.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Is there a way to avoid this hard-coded "j" in my dosbox.conf? I would like to use "x" which should work like variable. In other words, I want something like this:

var x = detect_which_letter_is_correct() // in my case it will be j
imgmount x "c:\users\john\downloads\games\this game\game.cue" -t iso // use x as variable

Reply 1 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The drive letters of the host OS don't really matter to the drive letters in DOSBox, and you ask for compatibility problems with games to use arbitrary drive letters. Many games will tolerate gaps in drive letter assignment, but some won't.

In general you should mount a C: drive as a hard disk, and a D: drive as a CD-ROM. For example:

mount c c:\dos
imgmount d cdimage.cue -t iso

Reply 2 of 4, by john_2019

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm. Not sure I completely understand.

> The drive letters of the host OS don't really matter to the drive letters in DOSBox

But in my case it will not work with anything except j.

Here is the complete way:

1. I create Games directory in C:\

2. I run this:

mount c c:\games
imgmount x "c:\users\john\downloads\this game\game.cue" -t iso
x:
setup.exe

3. Then, the game could be successfully installed and launched.

4. Then I close DOSBox and create the following dosbox.conf file in game dir:

[cpu]
cycles=20000

[autoexec]
imgmount j "c:\users\john\downloads\games\this game\game.cue" -t iso

And then I create the following shortcut:

"c:\program files\dosbox-0.74-2\dosbox.exe" "c:\games\game\game.exe" -conf "c:\games\game\dosbox.conf" -exit -fullscreen

And then, the game will stop properly work if I change j in dosbox.conf to something different. It will ask me to insert CD.

Reply 3 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Use these commands to install:

imgmount d "c:\users\john\downloads\this game\game.cue" -t iso
d:
setup.exe

Use these conf settings to run the installed game:

[cpu]
cycles=20000

[autoexec]
imgmount d "c:\users\john\downloads\this game\game.cue" -t iso
c:
cd game
game.exe

Use this shortcut to run the installed game:

"c:\program files\dosbox-0.74-2\dosbox.exe" -conf "c:\games\game\dosbox.conf" -exit -fullscreen

Again, a C: drive as a hard disk, a D: drive as a CD-ROM, and keep the mounted drives the same for both installation and playing. Every cdrom-based DOS game ever made will work with this arrangement of drive letters. If it does not then you have made a mistake, your copy of the game is broken in some way, or DOSBox has an issue with the game in question that should probably be investigated.