VOGONS

First post, by FatMike

User metadata

hi!

i want to use dosbox under debian without support for x and install it on a server with ssh console login. x isn't available there.
i only want to use it for executing a small commandline-crypting-tool that is only available for dos.
is it possible to install it without x support? do i have to compile it from source or is the install of a deb package enough?

thnx in advance,

fat

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I doubt it's enough.
dosbox is designed with a graphical backened in mind.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SDL can be used without X. "export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=none" (or "null", don't recall anymore) should do the trick. You will still need the X libraries around as SDL is usually linked against them, but you don't need X running. DOSBox doesn't need to be modified.

Mind you, I have never tried that. Please tell us if it works as I think it should.

Reply 3 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

ok i'll try that. so i have to install x with all libraries but i don't have to run it?

or is there an easier solution to run simple dos command-tools within linux?
i'm thinking about using a win2k3-server instead...

thnx

fat

Reply 4 of 6, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try dosemu. As long as you don't run xdosemu, it will definitely run from a console without needing X.
No idea if it supports your program. And you have to get a hold of a freedos package as well. And it can be a little tricky to set up.
There are probably debian packages you could get from wherever you get your packages, but if not you could check out http://www.dosemu.org.

(Tried to use the SDL_VIDEODRIVER myself and dosbox without X but no luck. Just got
"Exit to error: Can't init SDL No available video device"
No guarantees that it might not actually work without X for someone else with a different setup.
Wonder if someone were to boot up with a framebuffer, if it might work?)

Reply 5 of 6, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guest: You just need the X libraries, not a full-blown X installation. Debian will take care of that automatically. And if that bothers you, you can build your own version of SDL without X support.

And you might have to try different "output" settings.