VOGONS

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hi.

I've used DosBox on my parents PC, and I have to say it's a great program.
But christmas is over, and now I'm back in my appartment trying to run it on my Mac.

I have an iBook with a Norwegian keyboard. The program seems to be working fine, but I can't type in ":", which makes it impossible (so far) to mount the folders and apps I want.

I tried using the other commands suggested in the guide, but that didn't work. I tried using the key-selection application, but ":" wasn't even listed on the map there, so I found no way to select it and choose which button to use.

I don't really feel like buying a new keyboard just for this, so I guess that leaves me with the last option, which is editing the command-file or something like that.
The problem is I have no idea how to do this.

Could anyone be so kind to post a simple walkthrough on how to assign ":" to a button on my keyboard, using the command-file? I would really appreciate it. DosBox is a great program, I've tried a number of games on it, and they all run perfectly on a PC. Now I'm curious to try out the Mac-version.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SEARCH the forum for similar problems with other non-UK keyboards.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already did that and unfortunately it didn't help me much.

I see people are recomending an app. called KEYB from FreeDOS, but that doesn't work for me.

My problem is that I can't write ":", which means that I can't mount anything into dosbox, including the folder with KEYB.

If you know of any relevant threads (without having to search for it) it would be nice if you could link to it here. I may have missed something, but it's going to take days to get through all the post that might be relevant.

All i need is the ":" to be assigned to one of my buttons.

Isn't there something about writing "key_colon" or something into the command file? It saied so in the readme, but it wasn't explained how to actually do it. My computer skills are limited, but I think I could do it if somebody just gave me some step-by-step instructions. I couldn't find anything like that in previous posts.

Thanks again for the reply.

Reply 3 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep trying keystrokes combinations. On my Spanish keyboard the colon is located at SHIFT-ñ

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 4 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

I've tried every key combination possible, I think. And anyways, none of the special keys on Norwegian keyboard work in Dosbox for mac, so I cant really make use of them in any combination.
The colon-sign is not even listed in the keymapper application, so I guess there is no way to make this app. work on a mac with non-US keyboard.

P.S. The PC i tried it on also had a norwegian keyboard, but there the special keys actually worked.

I give up. This is annoying and slightly aggrevating, so I'm hereby throwing Dosbox in the trash.

Reply 5 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wait! Do not give up yet. Have you tried a front-end? It should be more user-friendly.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 6 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

If your special keys don't show any output in DOSBox, then it could be that SDL has problems with your platform. Unfortunately, it is difficult to diagnose this problem when none of the developers have a scandinavian OSX machine.

To get the colon key on an english keyboard, you would press shift-semicolon. So you could try mapping the semicolon key somewhere, and use that to get the colon.