VOGONS

Daggerfall

Topic actions

First post, by BigCountry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I pulled out my old copy of daggerfall, installed it to my C drive on my laptop and attempted to run it through the cmd line. This worked for about 90% of the game (it has issues with my laptop keyboard mapping and I cant see quest npc's in houses). I downloaded Dosbox and loaded that up. figured out an issue wiht my mouse not working and got the game to load up just fine, but it is lagging horribly. I'm running a 1.4g Pentium Centrino notebook with 512mb of ram, and a 32 mb Radion 9200 mobility video card. I'm not super experienced with dosbox, but i would like to learn (the next game I want to play is Return To Zork). Any help to tune Dosbox would help. I'm also using D-fend to set up my game profiles.

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Grab a CVS build of DosBox from my signature. Either ykhwong's or gulikoza's build.

1.4ghz is pretty slow so I'm not sure how well Daggerfall will run. You'll probably have to lower detail settings in Daggerfall to play acceptably.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1.4GHz is indeed a bit slow for Daggerfall in DOSBox. Even Arena won't run at full speed at full detail on my Athlon XP 3200+ (2.6GHz I think), so I haven't tried Daggerfall yet because I don't expect it to run well enough.

You'll want to do as DosFreak suggests, as well as reading the DOSBox Guides forum for info on making it run faster (e.g. set core=dynamic and increase cycles)