VOGONS

First post, by FSOD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It doesnt seem to matter which version of the card I use. It's always fuzzy/staticky. Some things I've tried to relieve the issue are changing cycles, prebuffer, blocksize, mixer rates, reducing the mixer master and sb volume down, etc. The game doesn't really seem to matter. What I have noticed is that if I can change the game sfx to GUS there is no fuzzy sounding audio. For example in Dungeon Master 2 I use GUS for the sfx and a SC-55 plugin for music and have no issues unless I use sound blaster. Now I've been wanting to play Lands of Lore and unfortunately, for voices and sfx, sound blaster seems to be my only option and the fuzzyness is pretty grating. Also something weird I noticed... when I recorded game footage with OBS the fuzzyness wasnt present in the recording and I thought that was a little strange. Is it just me or is this normal for dosbox? Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 1, by FSOD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm on a windows 10 machine. I tried it on a windows 7 machine and have the same issue on there as well.

Not sure what more details you want as far as games go but I have tried Dungeon Master 2, Lands of Lore and both eye of the beholder games. Any time I use sound blaster the audio is distorted/fuzzy. I've also tried every version of sound blaster available in the config file and they all seem to have the fuzzyness. ive tried sb1,sb2,sbpro1,sbpro2,sb16 and configured the game setups properly but the fuzzyness persists. I think its slightly better in lands of lore if you choose sb16 in the config and select sound blaster pro in the game setup though. Also like I mentioned before and I'm only mentioning this again because i think its a key detail... In dungeon master 2 setting the digital sound to GUS has 0 fuzzyness.

I actually already use DOSBox ECE and I experience the problem in both vanilla DOSBox and ECE. I dont have a linux machine up and running atm but I can probably get a live cd and try out DOSBox-X and staging.

you can actually hear what im talking about in most youtube videos of lands of lore. https://youtu.be/DKdBs7Pc1JE?t=197 its really bad in the voices.