VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Darkfalz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't use DOSBox with OpenGL on NVIDIA Forceware 80 series drivers. These drivers have a bug that cause random reboots when switching modes (ie. full screen to window, or full screen to desktop etc.) under OpenGL.

I've gone back to 78.05 for now, and the problem is gone.

NVIDIA are really starting to piss me off.

Reply 3 of 11, by Darkfalz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes also occurs in 84.21 and the newest 84.43.

Ouch, are you using OpenGL output? It's OpenGL specific. I have a 6600 GT, obviously your mileage may vary.

To test the reboot, just start a game and alt-enter a few times. If you can do it at least 20 times or so, you should be safe. If your system spontaneously reboots, then you've got a problem.

Using ddraw or surface or anything else should be fine.

Reply 4 of 11, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There may be more variables there. The problem may be chipset specific, m/b manufacturer specific, etc. I had very similar problem with ATI 9800 Pro, bluescreened and rebooted on Alt-Tab quite regularly. Then one day I had to replace power supply due to unrelated problem (faulty 3.3V line) and this problem disappeared as well. I guess not only 3.3V was faulty in that old p/s. BTW, did you check voltages reported by BIOS?

Reply 6 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well unless the newer drivers enable some more power consuming operations on your videocard. 😉

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 11, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Out of curiosity, are you using official drivers? Because I had some major problems on switching using fairly recent unofficial ones (DNA in particular), none of which have occurred since I cleaned up and started out with officials.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 8 of 11, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm working with Nvidia GForce 5200 FX AGP 8X or something like that....128 Mb memory i think on P4 3,0 Ghz 1Gb RAM Win XP prof.

i don't change the Nvidia drivers since...months...emm..don't remember but i've...81.98 version

i change from dosbox windowed...or fullscreened to desktop without problems with video mode changes

if somebody needs it...here's the 81.98 forceware drivers...
http://www.cyberscope-station.com/game_dungeo … nglish_whql.zip

Reply 10 of 11, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no, Darkfalz ... sorry, i don't catch it....but still not used OpenGL, usually i use "surface" or "DDraw"....but thanks for your response...

then it's OpenGL problem? i'll try OpenGL render and put here my own xperience with it....