VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by davidghall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to get Omniplay Magic Johnson MVP Basketball to run in Dosbox. I downloaded the game to C:\MVP\SBA. The executable file is just called PLAY, but there is no EXE attached to it. I can mount MVP as the local directory, then I can change the directory to SBA. Now my prompt looks like...

C:\SBA>

When I type in play, the message I get is "unable to read the configuration file. game aborted"

I can play the game without dosbox, but it is WAY too slow. What do I need to do to play this game with or without dosbox. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 1, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Somewhat wild guess here...

It is likely that the game expects to be run from C:\MVP\SBA . Therefore, you should actually mount C:\ in DOSBox, so that you can change to the directory C:\MVP\SBA from within DOSBox.

Mounting C:\ in DOSBox is generally unadvisable, though, so you are probably better off making a new folder, like C:\DOSBOXEN, copying the MVP folder into C:\DOSBOXEN, and then mounting DOSBOXEN within DOSBox. Make sense?

Failing that, you should be able to solve the speed problem by using SPEEDSET, available somewhere else here on VOGONS.

And by the way...

The executable file is just called PLAY, but there is no EXE attached to it.

This doesn't really make sense. You likely have "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" turned on in Windows Explorer (Tools->Folder Options->View).