VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cheesybox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So as the title says, I'm trying to get an SVGA driver on windows 3.11 that I have running into DOSBox. Still haven't been successful, and I now have CGA40850.fon hanging out in a folder on my desktop that I can't delete.
Right-click->properties doesn't show any window
Folder constantly makes itself "read-only," even after turning it off.
Rename the file, explorer crashes. Rename the folder, computer locks up.

Rebooted, still nothing. Booted in safe mode and I STILL can't delete it, so I'm guessing despite it being an "invalid font file," Windows 10 has it's hands on it somehow. Has anyone run into this problem or know of any solution to getting rid of this damn thing?

Reply 1 of 3, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Boot from a Linux live CD (or USB) and delete the file.
I've heard there are some Windows programs that can delete locked files but I've never used one because I have a dual-boot system.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 2 of 3, by DylanMc6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zirkoni wrote on 2016-02-23, 15:19:

Boot from a Linux live CD (or USB) and delete the file.
I've heard there are some Windows programs that can delete locked files but I've never used one because I have a dual-boot system.

Yo, do you have any other non-Linux methods? I got the same problem. -Dilly/Dylan

Reply 3 of 3, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was a small utility called wholockme (there will be others, too) that told you which process was locking a given file. So find out that process, kill it, delete your file and reboot.

Also, you can restart windows on safe mode / repair mode (so most services and processes are not running) and delete your file.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!