VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by M_Alex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have been using DOSbox for some time, and everything was fine. Last week i had to format my drive and reinstall the system [windows XP in my case, with service pack 2]. Since then i have begun getting a strange error with DOSbox:
When i launch it, and switch to full screen mode, it crashes upon running an application. If I run an application in windowed mode, then switch to fullscreen the program runs pretty normal, but the stability is lower then it should be. Any ideas what this could be / how to resolve this problem?

Best Regards,
M. Aleksander Miernik

Reply 1 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome to the forums, M_Alex!

It sounds like a videcard driver related problem. What videocard do you have? What videocards drivers are you using? official ones from the video card manufacturer? Microsoft's?

Some links:

ATi based videocards

nVIDIA based videocards

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 11, by M_Alex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using a gigabyte NVidia 7600 gs, AGP. The drivers i'm running are the most recent ones from the official nvidia website. The previous version of them (the one whch came with the graphics card itself) were a bit buggy, the new version had those bugs fixed.

Another reason for this perhaps could be my firewall; maybe the way it handles "entertainment mode", or perheps it is a bonflict between all three parties? (video drivers, firewall and DOSbox)

Reply 5 of 11, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
M_Alex wrote:

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks for the advice, and if anybody else had any experience with such a problem, than i would be grateful for some additional info 😀
M.

Well, you could also try playing with the output settings in the [sdl] section of your dosbox.conf, it's a lot easier than downngrading video drivers etc. Some output modes may not be supported fully by your video drivers, e.g. overlay doesn't work for me (crashes in full screen mode).

JAL

Reply 6 of 11, by Raedwulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a similar problem.

This happens on two of my computers but not on the laptop.
What happens is:
- Successfully go fullscreen
- Going back to window crashes

Basically - Alt-Enter once to go fullscreen and alt-enter again to go window-mode BUT crashes

Two desktops:
GFX Cards: Geforce 4 MX 440, Geforce 2 MX 400

Laptop:
Laptop GFX Card: Radeon 9100 IGP

Cheers.

Reply 11 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well that doesn't really hint at why the other modes don't work...
If you should get fullscreen-switching stable by some means
(replacing sdl.dll, updating drivets etc.) please leave a message here.