VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sam324

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To install DOSBox, it says it can only boot from floppy, but the problem is that my new laptop doesn't have a floppy disk drive. Will a USB one work?

Reply 2 of 14, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think what he means, is installing MS-Dos inside of Dosbox.
I also had problems with this some time ago and finally ended up in installing it under QEMU instead and transfer the files later. Maybe it works better with the current development version?

Reply 4 of 14, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1.- Get a PC with a floppy disk.
2.- Use rawwrite to make images from your floppies.
3.- Use your images to "boot" DOSBox.

Another thought... Would FreeDOS work inside DOSBox? It can be installed from a CD Drive...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Another thought... Would FreeDOS work inside DOSBox? It can be installed from a CD Drive...

Problem is that Dosbox does only support floppy images and hard drive images once it boots off an hard drive image 🙁
Neither CD-Rom image nor a real CD-Rom drive is supported 🙁

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 14, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wd wrote:

Yep, but how do you read that from his posting???

Just guessing, because this is more or less the main point while using Dosbox where booting from Floppy is required for installation. Besides I read several times posts from people who couldn't distinguish very well between Dosbox and DOS itself. 😉

Reply 13 of 14, by Sam324

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😊 Ok, I installed DOSBox from the DOSBox website. I thought DOSBox would be in the ARENA folder and I couldn't find it so I guess I just skipped that step. Now it's working.