VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by daisho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because the wiki seems to be nearly dead due the popularity of posting questions in this forum like "How do I run DOSBox in fullscreen?", I thought I would make a similarly rediculous post by telling you all I just added the first new entry in the wiki in perhaps two years. And let me tell you, it was a freakin' pain repeatedly trying to get that stupid Save button to work.

Anyway, check it out and tell me what you think.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?page=FAQ
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … FSearchingForXT

I would like to update other entries but the Save button bug is too annoying.

Reply 1 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Layout-wise it looks clean and good. The wiki-software has some support for tables. You might want to check it out, and get even nicer tables.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 11, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ehm... Probably a bit OT, but Wiki related: i've tried several times to find specific info inside the Wiki, but couldn't locate it with the search function. This makes the Wiki pretty much useless IMHO, as there is no real "index" of what's inside the Wiki. The only interesting info i was able to find (it was about DOS32A) was by luck via Google.

If you want people to use the Wiki instead of the forum (which would make sense, as the info inside the forum is scattered around in several threads), these _basic_ functions have to work.

Reply 5 of 11, by daisho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ADDiCT, thanks for your comments. While I would like comments on the work I did, my ulterior motive here is really to generate more interest in the wiki and put less of a burden on the forums. I prefere wiki's over forums because I already have too many forum memberships.

Regarding the wiki bug, the save button (and/or preview button) error is "Something went wrong. No captch information". Also, sometimes "Save" does a preview instead of a save.

One more thing, the calandar and clock on the edit histories is way off. It is running slow enough that one real day equals one wiki hour, or one real hour equals one wiki minute... or something like that. Anyway, it is only at 02dec2006 right now.

Reply 6 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ok now about the content:
the problem why 4.77mhz are not possible is quite simle, dosbox accounts
one cycle for every instruction be it a simle arithmetics one, one involving
address calculation+memory access or even a floating point operation.
Dunno if it matters for that section though.
The dynamic core is not optimal for low cycle counts because it works on
a per-block basis. Thus the cycle checks don't happen after every instruction.

Other than that the article is nice to read.

Reply 7 of 11, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Daisho: i didn't mean to be rude or something. I very much appreciate your work, and the work of the developers (they are currently the main source for information regarding DOSBox, after all - coding & caring about stupid users like me 😀 )

I started using DOSBox intensively about three weeks ago, and it was really hard to get info in the beginning, even though i am what i would call an "emulator pro". A (technically) working Wiki with a good search function, and a complete index would be very helpful for newbies. I believe DOSBox will attract many more users in the future (emulation with all its facettes is becoming a mainstream topic - think about hardware virtualization and all that stuff), so the number of "stupid" questions in the forum will increase IMHO. Maybe it would make sense to consider "documentation" an important topic, and try to organize a team of people caring about it. I would be happy to help in any way i can, even though my time is quite limited (as everyone's is).

Sorry for capturing the thread, i'll shut up now. 😀

Reply 8 of 11, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to concur, the Wiki save button is painfull. Just to add the line "D.O.G. supports 0.65 and 0.63 without altering any options." took me an hour, pressing and retyping the same line.

And with the new release of D.O.G. upcoming, supporting ALL official DOSBoxes, including the 0.58 version and the 0.66 CVS version, I'll have to change it again. 😖

As for the stupid questions, I'm trying to reduce those by making a new FAQ. This one got altered to an HTML format so hopefully in the folowing month it will be a click away and useable without having to go to VOGONS.

Anyways, daisho, the site you made is good and informative.

Thanks,

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 9 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do not contribute to the Wiki because I spend way too much time here @ VOGONS....

It's hard to say wether a good WIKI will reduce stupid questions. It's common knowledge that people will post first before reading documentation.

Alot of newcomers to DosBox do not even know what a "wiki" is.

At various times I've gone through these forums and consolidated information into various threads and for cleanup and have compiled a DosBox FAQ and contributed to ErikGG's FAQ so that's likely what I'll continue to do.

Organize VOGONS information for those who want to include the information in a WIKI.

There is a massive amount of information in these forums that can be converted to Q&A's\Guides\and examples. We just need the manpower and wanting to do these things. Understandably most of us are concerned more about fixing compatibility than worrying about if Joe User can switch to his mounted "C" drive because he didn't read the documentation.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

It's common knowledge that people will post first before reading documentation.

More like simple fact. How many times has someone posted "OK I've got this Z thing, now how do I start my game?" or "The sound skips no matter how high I set the cycles."

Reply 11 of 11, by daisho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

It's common knowledge that people will post first before reading documentation.

More like simple fact. How many times has someone posted "OK I've got this Z thing, now how do I start my game?" or "The sound skips no matter how high I set the cycles."

Hey! 😒 Give some of us some credit. 😀 I read the entire wiki before searching vogons for my answer [...and FONTMAN still misbehaves with the mouse--even if I use the Daum Cafe CVS build to remove the mouse driver... but that is way off topic].

Yes, I've been around a bit and know that many newbies go straight to talking to someone before looking on their own. But some of us shy-but-saavy users don't. Who would you rather cater to? Don't answer that. I know the answer: Kick all the dumb newbies off of vogons and only allow smart newbies. 😮 😮 😮 😲

You've got at least two newbies in this one thread that would like a better wiki. Me and ADDiCT. (In case you didn't notice this was my first post, and my DOSBox installation date is 10feb2007.)

Anyhow, get that save button working (upgrade the wiki or something) and I will see what I can do about stealing information from these forums and adding it to the wiki... I've already been itching to.

p.s. wd: Thanks for the details, I'll think about where to add them.
p.s.s. ADDiCT: Dude! You weren't rude! I was trying to say I appreciate your interest in the wiki above all else. 😁