Common searches

Reply 20 of 28, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChaosFish wrote:
`Moe` wrote:

ChaosFish, using OpenGL-HQ, you can. See the patches forum for details.

OpenGL-HQ just crashed my Windows 😖
Thanks anyway, I'll wait for it to become more stable 😀

Uhm, it is stable. I don't intend to modify anything compatibility-wise, since (up to now) it worked rock solid. Did you disable triple buffering? (in case of ATI hardware, that is)

Reply 21 of 28, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used the default settings, all I changed was fullresolution=1280x1024 and fullfixed=true.
I use GeForce FX 5200 with Nvidia's official drivers. Windows XP sp2. I didn't do anything special, yet this doesn't work on my computer at all.

Reply 22 of 28, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For 320x200 material, the truest alternative is a 1920x1200 monitor, which would give you perfectly square pixels, completely fill the screen and preserve the true ratio of 1.6:1.

Reply 23 of 28, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

For 320x200 material, the truest alternative is a 1920x1200 monitor, which would give you perfectly square pixels, completely fill the screen and preserve the true ratio of 1.6:1.

Except that the pixels in a 320x200 resolution aren't supposed to be square.

Reply 24 of 28, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Freddo is correct. DOS monitors were physically 4:3 and stretched the 320x200 image to fit. 320x240 on a 4:3 monitor would result in square pixels, but not 320x200.

The only way to get really good 320x200 DOS game emulation is to either use a 320x200 or 640x400 mode on a CRT and adjust it to stretch the image to fill the screen. Another option is to run in a really high resolution and use filtering to hide the fact that some emulated pixels are taller than others (and to emulate an old, blurry CRT like what we had back then).

DOSBox lets you do both of these methods I think.

Reply 25 of 28, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to add that this is one of the areas where LCD owners can be happy about. If you use DVI then your LCD will auto-resize the image without you having to touch anything.

I used to fight with my old CRT because it would never keep the stretch-settings for dosbox. 😒 Now I've forgotten all about that, as I never have to touch any monitor settings for fullscreen. I installed ST:25th Anniversary on an old PC I have with a CRT and the image was way off to the side and I thought "Oh yeah, I remember when that used to happen!" 😅

Reply 26 of 28, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChaosFish wrote:

I used the default settings, all I changed was fullresolution=1280x1024 and fullfixed=true.
I use GeForce FX 5200 with Nvidia's official drivers. Windows XP sp2. I didn't do anything special, yet this doesn't work on my computer at all.

Ah, that's it. Didn't read the README, eh? 😉 You need to set fullfixed=false, turn off all scaling, and then follow the instructions in the README. Ykhwong's build used to have an addon patch that allowed you to change OHQ settings in dosbox.conf, but with the latest changes, it broke and wasn't updated yet, as far as I know.

Reply 27 of 28, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't realize there was a readme, just thought I needed to download a CVS build with this patch implanted 😊

Anyway, read the readme now, this kind of "works" now, but only in windowed mode I can actually see something before my computer hangs completely. I'm sure I've done everything the readme told me to do... is GeForce FX 5200 not good enough for this?

Reply 28 of 28, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not quite sure. If it is enough, it is the worst possible hardware. 5600s work. On the ATI side, 9500 marks the entry level, 9200 isn't sufficient, and I developed it on a 9700.