VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 27, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot. I'll give this a try later tonight.

I have had a chance to check it out. Can you make the shortcut be just standard Windows shortcuts? The config file shouldn't have to go through the frontend just to play. It doesn't seem to accept the changes from direct editing of the config file. If it was a standard Windows shortcut, it could use a normal dosbox.conf. As far as the config file goes, it might be a good idea to simply have it named dosbox.conf. if it is in the game's folder, there is no danger of over writing another dosbox.conf.

What I would find VERY convenient would be to be able to invoke a shortcut/config file on a right click of the executable directly in the game's folder, without having to first open the frontend. I would like to see a "Create shortcut/config file" pair, a "Configure game" (that would bring up the profile in the GUI for editing) and a "Run in DOSBox" (which would mount and run the game with a default config file) as a shell extension. These could be cascaded under a TDB context menu to prevent the right click from getting too large.

One last thought, there has been some discussion about standardizing profile formats to make them interchangeable/importable between frontends. I would propose a frontend subforum where the threads for the different frontends could go as well as for generalized discussions about frontends, like standardization.

Reply 22 of 27, by WindowsNT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will have to create a shell extension interface which is somewhat complicated, so what you say will take some time, but I will try.

It is virtually impossible to make a standard profile format (probably the DOSBox .conf file is the only actual candidate) because it is unlikely that you use more than one frontend at the same time in order to want a common configuration file.

On the other hand, my configuration files are XML (both tdb.xml and *.tdb files) , so anyone can read or write them.

Reply 24 of 27, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great. How about the ability to specify a default dosbox.conf that is placed in the game's folder. I have a couple of changes that I always use for most games, such as 3x scaling.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 26 of 27, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The shortcut is still going through the GUI:

"C:\Program Files\DOSBox\tdb32.exe" -shortcut game

It would be best to have the GUI to help setup the game, but not to be used to start the game every time. The standard way to start a game in DOSBox from a Windows shortcut is:

"C:\Program Files\DOSBox\dosbox.exe" -conf "path_to_game\dosbox.conf"

On another thought about standard profiles and frontends, in general. The dosbox.conf is already a standard. How about simply adding a section to the dosbox.conf file that dosbox would ignore that contains any extra the game info.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 27 of 27, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

>>> [collector] said, ...

1) It does not seem to let you mount a directory, but wants to mount the root drive.

The major problem that i have, with the software tdb32.exe, is with the mount section, because it always made the "mount c c:\", for the c drive.

By default, in "defrc.xml" =

<Mount> <![CDATA[Specify here mount options. You would like to mount your hard disk's directory as the drive C: if the game req […]
Show full quote

<Mount>
<![CDATA[Specify here mount options. You would like to mount your hard disk's directory as the drive C: if the game requires installation. I suggest that you do not mount C:\ as C, but a subdirectory instead.
You may also need to mount a CD-ROM as D:. Note that ISO mounting is supported.
]]>

</Mount>

---

I dont know, how to made the mount command in your "tdb32.exe software", and in "defrc.xml", to made it =

mount c .

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand