VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 28, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I can connect to the library. But there is nothing coming after that. Strange.... 🙁
And for twinsock, oh i need to create disk image for that
I can't seem to get the router mac address without a disk image....
Thanks
Jack

Reply 21 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why are you so dead set on trying to use Twinsock? Maybe you used Twinsock on some old machine many years ago, but that was in a configuration that is very different from what you can easily replicate with DOSBox (i.e. it involves a Unix host configured in a specific way).

There are other ways to enable an Internet connection in Windows 3.x in DOSBox that people have successfully used before and that do not use Twinsock.

Reply 22 of 28, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Upon connection to the library using lync 3.0, (The connection was okay), there was nothing (blank screen) after that. How do I receive the packets from the library? I tried turning echo on to no avail.
I am also wondering why a booted image would allow dosbox to access the internet while without it is a no-no,what mechanisms in MSDOS make this access possible?
Thanks
Jack
Thanks
Jack

Reply 23 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The connection with Lync is not a mechanism in MS-DOS. As I noted above, it's something handled entirely by DOSBox and its emulated modem.

A disk image is only needed for using TCP/IP networking in Windows for Workgroups, and that probably has something to do with some kind of disk access that DOSBox does not normally support.

Reply 24 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just looked at DosBox Guide to Multiplayer Games again and noticed that you might have to type ATNET1 to actually make Telnet work. (In the case of a terminal program you can probably find a dialog somewhere for the "modem initialization string", and set that to ATNET1.)

Reply 27 of 28, by westburian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tark wrote:

I discovered this while trying to figure something else out.

You can use Dosbox to connect to telnet BBSes and you can do it using DOS dial-up terminal programs.

All good posts here, I thought I would point out that you can also do this with plain old DOSBOX .72, the megabuild and NE2000 steps are not required, but you will need to set up your virtual comport modem, and then you can use a fossil driver such as Gwynn's x00.exe and then you can telnet with just about any old DOS com program. Telemate was very good in it's day, and if you are fortunate enough to have that all you have to do is get into it's terminal and type
<p>
ATDT bbs.farpoint.com
<p>
for example, and away you go. Also, you can run DOS BBS software this way as well, as I have TRIBBS and WILDCAT 4.0 DOS versions up and running this way.
<p>
Something I've just done recently is figure out how to use the dosbox megabuild patch and ne2000.com packet driver and run other dos internet apps, not just telnet, for example, the Arachne WWW DOS browser, as well as the lynx386 ported to DOS, and MSDOS Kermit 3.15 to do telnetting with.
<p>
Here is my page
http://westburian.site40.net/dosbox-internet.htm
<p>
Peace and Happy Internetting

Slackware Linux
support free and open source software
Close the Windows and Keep the Internet Open!

Reply 28 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

May I politely suggest adding your findings to the thread you already started rather than bumping something ten months old?

Also, DOSBox 0.72 is ancient and there is very little reason you should be using that instead of 0.74.