VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 42 of 44, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I attached my modifications to pcspeaker.cpp. I removed the automatic speaker turnoff feature, but it could be reinstated without problem since the signal decays to zero very quickly.

Do you think you could upload some WAV files to compare? I'm interested to hear what it sounds like.

It doesn't actually sound any different. I was hoping it would resolve the popping issue but it didn't. If you want to hear for yourself, feel free to compile yourself (I've mutilated other parts of dosbox so I can't post a decent binary at the moment).

I'm planning on implementing something like this:
http://slack.net/~ant/bl-synth/
What I'm going to do next is try to get the PIT to output the raw 1.2 MHz signal to a file for "offline" processing, to see if the approach is feasible (i.e. whether the games that use the speaker as a crude DAC will sound correct and without popping).

Attachments

• Filename
    pcspeaker.cpp
    File size
    10.69 KiB
    Downloads
    194 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 43 of 44, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bad news. I don't think my approach fixes pops in Wizardry 7. I managed to coax data out of dosbox: I get a data file with all the pc speaker transitions between high and low and a timestamp for each transition. I process that file outside of dosbox into a 48KHz sound file. Unfortunately the pops remain (I wouldn't be surprised if they exist on a real computer). I'm going to try another method of converting the data file to a sound file, but if and when it doesn't work I'll just leave it at this.