VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hi,
Running dosbox on my desktop works fine. It uses about 8-10% CPU when I start dosbox. But on my laptop it uses 90% CPU.
And when I start a game it's just way too slow on my laptop.
What could this be? Laptop is a bit slower but has a lot slower video card (with 3D support). Both run linux.

How come dosbox uses 90% CPU when doing "nothing"?
SDL issue?

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How fast is the laptop's processor? DosBox video processing eats up alot of CPU time on older processor's. Only "fix" currently is to heavily use frameskip or to use a CVS build with SmartUpdate enabled: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/page.htm

Enable SmartUpdate in DosBox.conf.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

probably some video card driver issue

tyr a different output for dosbox. (in the configfile)
and try a different display depth.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

Thanks so far! Laptop processor is a Celeron M 1,5 Ghz with 768 MB ram. And skipping 1 or 2 frames makes it use half the cpu. But the problem is I'm trying to play epic pinball. I loved that game but skipping 2 frames in a pinball game gets very jerky.
I will try to compile the CVS version right now.

Reply 4 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What kind of video card does the laptop have?
How many colors is it set to?

Ooops, read your post too fast the first time and didn't see Linux. Unfortunately, SmartUpdate isn't part of the official CVS so you'll have to add the patch yourself. If you have a dual-boot with Windows it might be worth it to use the CVS in that and see if you experience the same behavior. It could then be pinpointed to a hardware or OS problem.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using 24 bit colour desktop depth for the laptop? Change it to 16bit (high-colour). Try updating drivers if necessary.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)