VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Smasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to thanks the the DEVs for this awesome app that is DOSBox 😁 !! Keep up the good work 😁!

I would like to know if I change the cycles in [CPU] from 3000 (the default) to a higher number, will it increase the speed of the emulated PC for games and apps ?? Also is it dangerous if I have a 3GHZ CPU on my PC with 512mb of RAM and a 128 mb PCI Ex Graphic Card?

Thanks a lot for your help 😁!

Reply 1 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Smasher wrote:

I would like to know if I change the cycles in [CPU] from 3000 (the default) to a higher number, will it increase the speed of the emulated PC for games and apps ??

Yes, as long as your computer can handle the cycles. Too much cycles slows down.

Smasher wrote:

Also is it dangerous if I have a 3GHZ CPU on my PC with 512mb of RAM and a 128 mb PCI Ex Graphic Card?

No.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also is it dangerous if I have a 3GHZ CPU on my PC with 512mb of RAM and a 128 mb PCI Ex Graphic Card?

Don't put your hand on the processor while it's running. That might be dangerous.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 6, by Smasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤣 ok thanks a lot 😁.

I just asked that since in the FAQ they say it's ... bad so I wanted to be sure 🤣 since 3000 looks like 3GHZ 😉. I know it's dumb but i prefered to ask the dumb question.

Also if I increase the cycles in the conf file, does that does the same that if I use ctrl+F12 ?

Thanks a lot for your help 😁

Reply 4 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, it's the same.

Also, I touch the heatsinks and chips and fans in my computer all the time while it's running. Just touch the case of the power supply first to ground yourself, then be careful not to touch any chip pins or small components.

Reply 6 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, the cycles setting just tells DOSBox how much of your CPU power it can use for emulation by setting the speed of the virtual DOS machine. It can't change the actual speed of your real CPU.