VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hi,

My name is Max and I have a rather unusual request. I am a MIDI sequencer (a person who writes MIDIs of songs composed by other people) and I have posted my work on VGMusic.com. I am a big fan of the DOS game "MegaRace", and would love to sequence the song from the first level: "NewSan". When reading about DOSBox's capability to record Raw MIDI data form the game, I was very happy to hear this, because the song itself is very complex and using that raw MIDI data as a guide would help me out a lot. Unfortunately, I have a bad case screwing up computers big time, and so, I'm, uh, afraid of downloading DOSbox. 😦 However, if anyone who has a copy of "MegaRace" and doesn't mind helping me out with recording the MIDI, please reply to this topic. I would greatly appreciate it, so much.

If you want, I will credit you for helping me out with sequenceing the new MIDI.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 16, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Anonymous wrote:

Hi,
Unfortunately, I have a bad case screwing up computers big time, and so, I'm, uh, afraid of downloading DOSbox. 😦

DOSBOX will not screw up anything. It does not install anything deeper into system. All files are in just one directory. No drivers, no shared DLLs, no registry entries (apart those made for uninstaller).
In fact you can copy the files from an installed DOSBOX to another computer and they will work as they are...

Mirek

Reply 4 of 16, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

SDL is used, but you do not need to download anything else than DOSBOX installer. It contains everything (including SDL.DLL).
If you use a CVS build, then copy it over your normal DOSBOX installation (that way you will have all needed files). Just create a new DOSBOX.CONF (see README).

Mirek

Reply 6 of 16, by Spotted Cheetah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hope it will work. I had hard time with setting up Megarace2 for my father, but i could not success with it. Possibly just because of those crappy integrated hardwares 🙁 Anyways it is a great game 😀

Left this dictatoric junk. No. IV.

Reply 7 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weird. Megarace 2 runs fine for me with the latest CVS on my XP 2800+. Megrace should run even better.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 16, by Spotted Cheetah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think you not need a new drive, rather a cleaning disc (It is a disc having a small brush on it what can clean up the dust covering the lens. In Hungary i could buy one long ago for at about $5). At the side of the CD try to clean it with some soft cloth, wisely doing it might even erase harder scratches (I could already fix CDs this way 😀 ).

Reply 12 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can safely use a cotton swab with alcohol to clean optical drive lenses. For removing scratches from the bottom of CDs, I'd recommend using polishing compound and a cloth to rub the scratches out.

Reply 13 of 16, by Spotted Cheetah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"You can safely use a cotton swab with alcohol to clean optical drive lenses" - if you not afraid of that you would not be able to build together your CD drive's parts once you pulled it in pieces 🤣 - on the other hand this would be the best (and the cheapest) method as maybe not only dust is in that poor CD drive (Some coffee, a piece of ham, ect... Imagine anything :p I could find nice things in floppy drives so far...)

Reply 14 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess that's true. I haven't opened many PC CD/DVD drives to clean them, but I haven't had trouble re-assembling the few that I have opened.

On the other hand, I enjoy taking home electronics devices apart, looking inside, and then putting them back together 😀 I've opened (and often repaired and/or cleaned) stereos, VCRs, DVD players, TVs, computers, CD/DVD drives, speakers, VHS tapes, joysticks/gamepads, monitors, keyboards, mice, telephones, NES/Gameboy/Atari 2600 cartridges, NES/Gameboy/XBox/PSX/PS2 consoles, MP3 players, and lots of other stuff... I've also seen the inside of microwave ovens and hard drives that my dad opened.

It gets easier after you've been doing it for a while and learn the ways that things are held together (screws and lots of different kinds of clips and tabs usually, and occasionally glue).

Reply 15 of 16, by Spotted Cheetah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just finished fixing an IBM ThinkPad 350C laptop from 1993 😀 (Here is a pic of that machine, sadly i had not got camera...)
http://www.mo5.com/obsolete/136-musee-histoir … nkpad-350c.html

It's case was broken, among that it broke a few other parts, i had to strengthen it with some metal, the keyboard circuity was faulty - fixed too, as well as the floppy drive which had to be pulled in tiny pieces to pick a part of the broken case out of it. The only thing what i could not fix was the pointing device, but when i gave it back to the owner (it is not mine) he told me that it not even worked when he bought it from second - hand. A part was missing. Except from that the thing was nicely fixed, and the color (!) LCD still not seem to have any dead pixel!

But anyways, it is still not a good idea to just rumble without thinking in a poor drive's case 🤣