VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by anony

User metadata

What handheld device would you recommend to run dosbox on?

With a good compatibility of playing old old games.. and the means to play them (ie. mouse and keyboard emulation works fairly well with a directional pad or touch screen.. etc.)

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The new GP32 that just came out would probably be your best bet. Dunno if there's a dosbox port for it yet.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 7, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I doubt there's one yet but a port would probably be quite doable. It already got SDL ported, so the biggest concern will be working with whatever alternate input method is there.

(The new GP32 - GP2X - looks SWEET! )

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some info on DosBox performance: (Lots of misinformation and hearsay tho...)

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=20964

Seems some people think that DosBox should be able to use the second processor.....since video/processor emulation eat up most of the cycles it wouldn't really work out that well to split them up. People should just stop bitching and wait for faster processors. 😀 I mean come on! It's 2005! There should be at least a decent 1ghz x86 handheld out there.

For people who don't know about the GP2x it's the successor to the GP32 and it has dual ARM 200mhz processors.

Think about that for a sec. Dual 200mhz processors. Let's see....dual 200mhz processors were all the rage pack in 1996 and was more than enough for all the DOS games out there. Now you've got the problem that they are ARM, not x86, the fact that DosBox is emulating EVERYTHING, and that fact that you cannot use dynamic core in DosBox because it's not X86. Which means your gonna be playing at the latest (if your lucky) Wolfenstein 3D era games (1991 and below), probably not tho since most action games are too heavy, so it's gonna be mid-late 80's adventure games...which isn't too bad.

Looks like it's gonna be a loooooooooooonng time before your able to play DOS Quake on your handheld. Luckily there are ports. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In theory, dynamic core can be written for any host CPU. In practice, it's a lot of work so nobody have done it yet. As for the second CPU, I am sure that some sound processing can be offloaded. That would not make more games playable on the same system but it would give playable games decent sound. Partial offload of video processing is possible but it may not help as much as some people expect. Well, advanced filters can be done on the second CPU. Actually, there are two places were some work can be offloaded, very nicely marked in DOSBox source. One starts when execution is passed to vga_draw and the other is when it goes to RENDER. The logic can be split into threads at either of this lines. It's not going to make the core twice as fast but I would expect some decent 20% there.

Reply 5 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There should be at least a decent 1ghz x86 handheld out there.

All x86 CPU implementations are big, power-consuming, and hot. The best that can be done with current, affordable technology is a laptop.

I doubt that anyone could make one smaller than a PSOne:
PSone_2.jpg

Reply 6 of 7, by anony

User metadata

Thanks for all the replies, didn't think I'd get so many.

I ask out of curiousity because I just recently heard of the upcoming US release of the Gizmondo as a 400MHz handheld that runs Windows CE under the core (had never heard of it before, did a little research and it comes up short)

like DosFreak said, you'd expect by now there'd be much more powerful processors in handhelds these days and really all we can do is wait.

I'm not really concerned if a port exists to an available system yet, I wouldn't hesitate to do that myself if there existed something worthy.

Just wanted to see what you guys have seen or speculated about the possibility with the GP32, it's sucessor, Gizmondo, 400+MHz Palms, Tapwave, PSP.. etc out there now.. it still seems like the handheld hardware needs to catch up to today's expectations to run a worthy emulator like DosBox.

Reply 7 of 7, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Gizmondo is running Windows CE, not Windows Mobile. You can't put your own apps on it. It's also in a perpetual state of "almost ready to come out" in the US.

1GHz x86 on a handheld... HA...