VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CarlKolchak

User metadata

I was sure that an older version of Dosbox could record raw MIDI events when SoundBlaster/Pro/16 was selected as the card in a game, but now in 0.63 I can only do that if I select a Roland card. Was this changed? I have a whole bunch of games where the MIDI music was optimized for SoundBlaster and it sound much worse when Rolands are selected. I can capture the music as "raw OPL" files when I select Blaster now, but that's useless, as I found nothing that could convert those captures to MIDI or even play them...

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

that is a very weird report

does the message:

Preparing for raw midi capture, will start with first data.

appear in the status window of dosbox ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 4, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
CarlKolchak wrote:

I was sure that an older version of Dosbox could record raw MIDI events when SoundBlaster/Pro/16 was selected as the card in a game, but now in 0.63 I can only do that if I select a Roland card. Was this changed?

??? I think it was never possible - you can record MIDI only if you use MIDI for music (General MIDI/MPU 401/Roland etc...). For normal SB you can use just DRO files or to record the sound as WAV. There are no MIDI events for SB...

Mirek

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As I've explained a million times, OPL chips do not speak MIDI. MIDI commands are never sent to the OPL hardware. Games that play MIDI music on OPL chips do the translation from MIDI commands to OPL commands in software. Only OPL commands are sent from games to drive the OPL chips, so DOSBox never sees any MIDI command that can be intercepted.