VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Further to gulikoza explaining what the settings do in relation to others (which I hope I now understand), I thought I'd ask a question that's been bothering me for ages now 😀

I always seem to have weird draw issues when running fullfixed=false when in fullscreen. I've got a TFT (1280x1024 native) and what I see is that the screen is drawn to the correct dimensions but the DOSBox shell is blurry and looks like it's [very] badly interlaced ('jumping' vertically). This happens just using surface (or any output mode for that matter). The output rate for my TFT is 60Hz across alll resolutions.

The conf file is completely default except that I set fullfixed=false. I get the problem with the 0.63 release and also gulikoza's CVS build.

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=1024x768
output=surface
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Reply 1 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have any advice, but I can tell you that the problem is probably related to the fact that 1280x1024 is not a 4:3 aspect ratio resolution. You'll probably want to experiment with different output= and/or scaler= settings to make it look better.

Reply 2 of 8, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, with fullfixed=false, DOSBox tries to use the same video mode as the game requested, which is probably 320x200. Blurriness is usual for TFTs - there's exactly one output mode where a TFT is sharp, that is it's native resolution. Now, 320x200 is a lot different than 1280x1024, the timing is a lot slower, your TFT might have difficulties synchronizing to that mode, and that would look like a jumping picture.

output=overlay or output=opengl/openglnb together with fullfixed=true and fullresolution=1280x1024 should look a lot better. If your graphics card is capable enough (Radeon 9500/Geforce 5 and up), you could also try OpenGL-HQ, it works really good with TFTs.

Reply 4 of 8, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you try the suggestion made by gulikoza regarding my question in another thread:

You could try setting Refresh Rate override in DxDiag (click start->run->type dxdiag->more help->override).

When I used 70 Hz as override, i got a good result. You use your posted file, only change scaler to none. I'd be curious it that would work with you too...

Greetings
ux-3

Reply 5 of 8, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you try the suggestion made by gulikoza regarding my question in another thread:

You could try setting Refresh Rate override in DxDiag (click start->run->type dxdiag->more help->override).

When I used 70 Hz as override, i got a good result. You use your posted file, only change scaler to none. I'd be curious it that would work with you too...

Greetings
ux-3

Reply 6 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd forced that setting to 60Hz when I first got my LCD (although I used the Direct X 9 Control Panel applet).

When I run DOSBox with the settings, I get a DOS screen with resolution of 640x480 and a refresh rate of 60Hz. My monitor doesn't like this mode at all at is as I described it as! The monitor is an LG 1810B connected via DVI to a XFX GF6600GT AGP video card. OS is WinXP + all updates, nVidia drivers are 71.89.

Reply 8 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried 'em all. Whatever I do my monitor displays a 640x480 image at 60Hz. That mode isn't even available in the display properties (640x480 is only available when List All Modes button is selected and only in 4bit colour. Any increase in colour automatically forces resolution to 800x600).