VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Fweston

User metadata

I just installed DosBox following the steps in the FAQ, however I haven't been able to get any games installed. The folder I am mounting as my C drive (c:\dosgames) is marked read only, so I assume that explains why the games will not install.

The problem is that I can't seem to mark the folder as not read only. When I pull up the folder properties dialog and uncheck the read only box, it's back again as soon as I check the properties again. I have tried doing it with and without DosBox running, rebooted, etc.

I tried searching the forums but a search for "read only" returned hundreds of posts.

Reply 1 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure you completely uncheck the box (not just change to a grey check mark), and make sure to apply to all subfolders as well. You may also need to have administrator priviledges if you're in Win2K/XP

Reply 3 of 5, by Markus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No Microsoft OS ever used the readonly attribute on directories for what it was meant to be used.
Back in the days of DOS, it wasn't used at all (DR-DOS et al used it though.)
Starting with Win95 MS used it as a flag for explorer to look for a desktop.ini file inside the dir.
Dosbox isn't using the readonly flag either, so that's not the reason for your problem.

There are a few things you can try:
- did you change to c: drive or are you trying to install from drive z:?
- can you copy something with explorer to c:\dosgames?
if you can't you have insufficient privileges (administrator doesn't have all privs - he can only get all.)
- type "dir" inside dosbox - do you see the copied files?
if not check your mount command.

Reply 5 of 5, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In that case you should probably tell more about what you are trying to install and what errors occur. I don't think it has to do with readonly setting.