VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Themario

User metadata

Is there a way to force the VGA section of dosbox to act as a papergray screen?
It would make the purple cga screens easier on the eyes.

Thanks

Reply 5 of 17, by themario

User metadata

I'm using an Nvidia geoforce4 MX440 (i'm not sure how to run this one in greyscale...been looking for 3 days) and my monitor cannot go to B&W.....: )

I don't know about a TSR, but maybe a mod on the VGA driver for dosbox to add a grayscale option....

If you have any other suggestions I appreciate the help....

Reply 6 of 17, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the dos days, I used a little program called (surprisingly) int10.com (or .exe), it was able to change various settings of the video card, including the monochrome flag. I seem to have lost it, and google wasn't helpful either, but perhaps you have more ideas how to find it.

Reply 7 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Taken from Ralph Brown's Interrupt list:

INT 10 - VIDEO - PERFORM GRAY-SCALE SUMMING (VGA/MCGA) AX = 101Bh BX = starting palette register CX = number of registers to […]
Show full quote

INT 10 - VIDEO - PERFORM GRAY-SCALE SUMMING (VGA/MCGA)
AX = 101Bh
BX = starting palette register
CX = number of registers to convert
Return: nothing
Desc: convert the RGB values of one or more palette registers such that the resulting values are grays with the same intensities as the original colors

And, better still.

INT 10 - VIDEO - ALTERNATE FUNCTION SELECT (VGA, MCGA) - GRAY-SCALE SUMMING AH = 12h BL = 33h AL = new state 00h enable […]
Show full quote

INT 10 - VIDEO - ALTERNATE FUNCTION SELECT (VGA, MCGA) - GRAY-SCALE SUMMING
AH = 12h
BL = 33h
AL = new state
00h enable gray scale summing
01h disable gray scale summing
Return: AL = 12h if function supported
Desc: specify whether or not colors should be converted to gray scale when palette or color registers are loaded

Here you go. I tested it under NTVDM and it works. Compiled with Windows DEBUG.

Attachments

• Filename
    GRAY.ZIP
    File size
    123 Bytes
    Downloads
    210 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 9 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Simply unpack it and run it before any application. I haven't tested it under DOSBox, but it WORKS under WinXP NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine - The emulated dos boxes).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 12 of 17, by Themario

User metadata

Works nicely using Win9x in a Dos window, thanks!!
Now If I can just get it to work in dosbox so the programs slow down enough to be more enjoyable...: )

Qbix: does that mean that dosbox will either be able to run gray.com or include this fonctionality in an upcoming version???

Thanks again guys for the help.....

Reply 13 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What Qbix is probably meaning is that the VGA function I used in gray.com isn't implemented yet into DOSBox and, thus, running gray.com under DOSBox DOES JUST NOTHING.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 14 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If this functionality is something you want without having to run a 3rd party utilitiy then requires it in the Wish List thread....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would it be possible to make a TSR that hooks the interrupt and grayscales the palette whenever it gets changed? I suppose that would slow things down and create lots of artifacts though, plus it'd probably be easier to just modify DOSBox at the source level to output in grayscale.

Reply 17 of 17, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's all fine but I will side with the original poster and go even further... I want settings for real greyscale monitor, amber, and green. The last one musthave at least one second of afterglow. VGA paperwhite (which was odd beast, not exactly greyscale) would be piece of cake after that. At this point, as they say on Slashdot, /me ducks...