VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Klez

User metadata

Hi there. It would be REALLY nice if u could implement this Feature in further Versions of DosBox. For example:
Yesterday i tried to play Battle Isle 2 over the Internet. Unfortunately it supports direct serial connections only (and only with the Scenery CD) 😒
So Modem doesnt work. I searched this Forum about this, and think a lot of People would be interested.

Best regards

Reply 2 of 5, by fish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had been thinking about a serial-over-tcp/ip-layer a while back.

Though, I don't know what would be the best and most useful way to implement it:

- as a host OS application
- as a real DOS application and a TCP/IP interface in the dosbox
- as a "pseudo app" as the ones on the z: drive, configured via commandline
- as a pure SDL-based dosbox patch, configured by the conf file

Maybe these thoughts are superseded by existing patches.

The Sole Survivor.
Find me on efnet #oldgames

Reply 3 of 5, by Klez

User metadata

The best way is (in my opinion) to do it IPX - like. Maybe to do a universal Tool for all Serial Connections like:

Server: COMPORT listen
Client: COMPORT connect <ip or host name>

In Games it should appear as a default com port like COM1. This would be a possibility for all Serial Connections. No matter if the Game supports Modem or Direct Connections. This "Wrapper"-Program could also emulate a Modem, where the "Dial" number isnt important. Sry for my bad English, but i think u understand what i mean...

Reply 4 of 5, by fish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not yet familiar with IPX and its relation to other protocols. What does IPX better than an UDP/TCP/IP implementation for tunneling dosboxed games through the network.

The Sole Survivor.
Find me on efnet #oldgames

Reply 5 of 5, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dosbox already has serial modem, if the comx dos devices (printer patch has an example of how it is done) and the modem &Dx command were implemented, serial connection could be as easy as this:

echo atdmyenemy.net > com1