VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MuNkEy2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi guys,

just wondering the whole svga you can only have 2megs o' video ram thing, for hi-res with magic carpet 2 i tried everything to get my machine to run 640 x 480 (what happens when you press R mid game) and it's sooooo slow if you can deal with the lower resolution it's fine but was just wonderin' if anyone had tested this with the fairly new build and if the direct3d update could help poke memory to help it along a little. although i don't think that would be how svga could be emulated any help would be an advantage

on a side note it does play with netbios loaded for a network game but will desync after bout 30 mins play 😕

thankyou for your time guys

Reply 2 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

uhhh...2mb is plenty of memory.

1024x768x8/8=786,432 bytes.

AFAIK, Magic Carpet 2 uses 256 colors which is 8bit.

@ 16bit color it's 786,432x2=1,572,864....which as you can see is far less than 2mb.

and MG2 only uses 640x480 so memory amount is of course not your problem.

Magic Carpet 2 runs fine @ 640x480 on my XP 2800....slower than 320X200 but perfectly playable.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 13, by MuNkEy2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i see. am running athlon 1.75ghz 512mb of ram played with vesa enabled and tried making the videoram higher but it still reports 2mbs 😢

your right it does run slower but remember it being perfectly playable using a voodoo3 🙄 and 300mhz with 128mbs of ram back in tha day

thanks for the reply though will try few more configs see what i can muster 😎

Reply 4 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah. now we are speaking......

1.75 GHZ can not emulate a 300 mhz machine......

Dream on 😀

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 13, by MuNkEy2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

why not? i mean we're looking at not even half the processor speed of my machine surely there must be a way. <--- can imagine this has probably been said a quad billion times and the explaination is probably here in the forums somewhere but isn't it just dealing with interrupts (know a little programming not very much so be nice!) 😀

Reply 7 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That does bring up a question I've been meaning to ask.....

How far can Dynarec in DosBox go? I've been meaning to perform extensive benchmarking comparing NTVDM to DosBox but I haven't got around to it yet.

Reply 8 of 13, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Number one CPU killer is scaling, followed by Adlib emulation. Third is DOSBox's memory bookkeeping/protected mode support. (Figures sampled while developing Hq2x, which was at that time as fast as advmame2x. Other scalers and sound emulations will have less impact.)
On at least one of my machines, the cheap onboard sound chip kills 50% CPU just by being used.

So you see, with dynamic CPU, it's not actually the CPU instructions that slow down things. The real problem is that protected mode is far more complex than you'd think, and for correct emulation, a lot of CPU time is spent. Virtualization avoids that by using the host CPU's protected mode (which is why they need a kernel driver). I'm not sure what QEmu does, but I think it's just a little smarter than us, and then again, maybe it suffers the same fate.

Reply 9 of 13, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just hang in here, cause this is an issue that intrests me too. I am using an Athlon XP3200+. Due to my TFT (see other post), I have to fullfixed= true to 640x480 with surface, normal2x and scale=true. I am under the impression that i am about as fast as a 486@66 MHz. Is this reasonable?

How much performance would I gain if I could run in fullfixed=false and surface mode, none, no scaling?

Thanks for link or input...

ux-3

Reply 10 of 13, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could gain by using opengl/openglnb/overlay or directx output, then normal2x will not matter, and the video card does the scaling. Which output is best depends highly on OS, video card and your preference. Surface mode doesn't differ much with or without normal2x. Your speed seems okayish, around 30.000 cycles should be possible with your box.

Reply 13 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well yeah, Opengl eats up more cycles than Surface/Overlay/Ddraw by alot. At least it does on my ATI. Simply load up DosBox and Task Manager and switch between different output methods and monitor DosBox processor usage to determine which output method has the least usage of processor cycles.