VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by weebil

User metadata

I installed DOSBox a while ago and messed around with it a little bit, but couldn't really get it to work... Anyways the problem is that I recently installed Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and it has a very choppy, low framerate. Other games that have the same (or greater) system requirements as KotOR run prefectly fine. Also, none of the patches I donwloaded for it fixed the problem. Someone suggested to me that it may be because of whatever drive mounting I did with DOSBox. So my 2 questions are: A) Is this possible and B) if so is there a way to reset to my default drive settings (pre-DOSBox)?

Motherboard = ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Processor type and speed = AMD 64 Athlon
Amount and type of RAM = 182 MB VRAM
Video board w/ RAM amount and type = ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Sound board = Legacy Audio Drivers / Realtek AC '97 Audio
Operating system = Win XP
Game name = Knights of the Old Republic v 1.03 (2003)
Description of problem = very low framerate
Reproducibility of problem = ALWAYS
Video Mode = Open GL I think
Version of emulator = DOSBox 0.63
Steps already attempted to solve the problem (please say you've read the README if you haven't, and READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T!) = I read the readme but it dosent address anything like this. I also tried updating my drivers but they are all up to date.

Reply 1 of 4, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, this is not possible. DOSBox drive mountings are internal to DOSBox and do not affect anything outside the program. Your problem with KotOR is caused by something else.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 2 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have an Radeon Xpress 200 and your complaining about low framerate.......

Not that KOTOR is that intensive but to demonstrate my point at how slow this thing is just loading the Chronicles of Ridick demo the main menu had difficulty loading....to be fair the Chronicles of Ridick menu is pretty intensive...but still.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try lowering all eye-candy and such. I don't know how this ATi Radeon Xpress 200 is but KotOR runs fine on my Radeon 9600LE.
One other thing: Get the latest Catalyst 5.10 - They have resolved some issues with this game.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)