VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Arjuna2000

User metadata

Hi,

in Suse 9.1 (32 bit) Dosbox (dosbox-0.61-33) worked quite well, in Suse 9.3 (64 bit) there are problems with the keyboard (version dosbox-0.63-3).

Some keys like the the ones between the character 'L' and the enter key (in English layout I think ;'\) do not react at all.

In the mapper.txt file they seem to be defined correctly, e.g:
key_semicolon "key 97".

Does anyone have an idea how to correct this?

Happy Linux,
Arjuna2000

Reply 5 of 12, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your system has it, you could try xdpyinfo. It would be right near the top.
(There's quite a bit of information from that, it would be best to pipe the info to something else if your terminal can't handle that many lines. Personally I'd use something like-
xdpyinfo | less
-with the line upwards being the symbol on the keyboard being the line up with a spot missing- NOT a colon. No idea where it would be on your keyboard, or even if your keyboard has it. Failing that you could try-
xdpyinfo > xdpyinfo.txt
- then view that file however you choose)

If you don't have it, then you could check in the X logs. On my system they're at /var/log/XFree86.0.log . No idea about your distro or or what the xorg logs are called.

Reply 6 of 12, by Guest

User metadata

xdpyinfo works and shows "X.Org version: 6.8.2".

But does this mean DosBox does not yet completely work with XOrg?

Happy Linux,

Arjuna2000

dougdahl wrote:
If your system has it, you could try xdpyinfo. It would be right near the top. (There's quite a bit of information from that, it […]
Show full quote

If your system has it, you could try xdpyinfo. It would be right near the top.
(There's quite a bit of information from that, it would be best to pipe the info to something else if your terminal can't handle that many lines. Personally I'd use something like-
xdpyinfo | less
-with the line upwards being the symbol on the keyboard being the line up with a spot missing- NOT a colon. No idea where it would be on your keyboard, or even if your keyboard has it. Failing that you could try-
xdpyinfo > xdpyinfo.txt
- then view that file however you choose)

If you don't have it, then you could check in the X logs. On my system they're at /var/log/XFree86.0.log . No idea about your distro or or what the xorg logs are called.

Reply 7 of 12, by Guest

User metadata

I have found a workaround now:

the special keys do not work for German keyboard layout but they do work for US.

So the workaround is:
- in the shell set the keyboard temporarily to US: setxkbmap us
- start dosbox
- in dosbox mount a directory containing the German keyboard files (e.g. mount to drive C:) and call: c:\keyb gr (you need keyb.exe and gr.kl for that)
- now most keys work (at least the keys between "L" and "Return")
- the key left from "Z" still does not work but could be mapped to some function key (F2 ...) using the keymapper (see readme)
- after ending the dosbox session set the keyboard back to German: setxkbmap de

Happy Linux,
Arjuna2000

Reply 8 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Use the recent CVS sources to compile dosbox, create a new
dosbox.conf and set the entry "usescancodes" to true. All keys
should work then, also the 102-key (left to Z/Y with <>).
Hope this works for you.