VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using DOSbox to run a ST3/Fasttracker-like DOS-based tracker. It supports GUS only, so I use DOSbox' GUS emulation. Also, I'm writing a native Windows player playing the modules produced by the tracker, using BASS.

The interesting thing is, that the sound produced by DOSbox is of slightly different frequency from the sound produced by the Windows player. I'm absolutely certain that it isn't a problem with my Windows player, so I can see either of two scenarios:

1) The GUS is less precise than DirectSound, and outputs at a slightly wrong frequency. DOSbox emulates this perfectly.
2) The GUS should output the same frequency as DirectSound does. DOSbox emulates the GUS slightly wrong.

The solution to finding out which of the above two is true would be comparing the output of DOSbox to that of an original GUS, but I do not have a PC with a GUS anymore. Has anyone actually compared a real GUS with the DOSbox GUS emulation, and found any differences? If not, anyone willing to try? 😀

JAL

Reply 1 of 5, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From writing part of the GUS code, I can assure you that there is at least one thing different between the emulated GUS and the real thing. The real thing would reduce the outputted sampling rate as more channels were played simultaneously. The emulated version does not suffer from the same processor limitations the hardware version had, and will therefore use the sampling rate set in the configuration regardless of the number of channels playing. This may automatically make for a slightly different sound.

Reply 3 of 5, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Would that change the pitch of the sound produced though?

I wouldn't expect that to happen. I programmed the GUS quite intensively back then, and one of the tricks I created (to be used in a moduleplayer) was to adjust the number of voices to the absolute minimum by 'relocating' voices from higher numbers to lower, unused, numbers by implementing simultaneous, opposing volumeslides, adjusting the samplerates on all channels and changing the number of voices used. Unfortunately, changing the samplerates was slightly audible, so I never implemented it. What's important for this discussion however, is that adjusting the samplerates + the number of active voices did not create an audible difference in most samples.

JAL

Reply 4 of 5, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canadacow wrote:

From writing part of the GUS code, I can assure you that there is at least one thing different between the emulated GUS and the real thing.(...) This may automatically make for a slightly different sound.

Did you have a 'real' GUS playing that you compared to the code you wrote? Or did you just assume it to sound right?

JAL