VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pontypool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After installing dosbox and restarting, I cannot boot my pc!
It identifies my drives and immediately restarts, I cleared the cmos, still no luck, then I updated the bios - still no luck. If I put windows installation disk in the drive, it doesn't get that far, in one of the drives the pc is searching for secondary master but in both cases I don't get to the point where the windows installation disk kicks in, although the boot floppy works ok.

I have one ineternal and one external drive (which is usually uplugged) and one dvd rom and one dvd rw drive, the dvd rom drive is the drive where if I put the windows disk in, the pc scans for about 5 mins looking for the secondary master.

I desperately need help with this, I have been trying for over 24 hours to rectify this and I am sure that dosbox has screwed with my masterboot record, I just can't fix it.

Reply 1 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Double-check everything, specially IDE cables/connections. DOSBox cannot do that and thus, cannot be held responsible for any damage. Some nasty sheer coincidence.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox does not modify any of your computer's settings or even integrate itself into Windows.

It sounds more likely to be a hardware failure, virus infection, or freak accident.

Is your BIOS able to detect your hard drive?

Reply 7 of 11, by pontypool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It just detects the drives at the very start and doesn't move to the next screen, where normally the option to boot from a floppy would appear, it restarts right when the screen usually changes.

Reply 8 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are ways to repair the MBR, but I don't know what they are off the top of my head. Some Google searching will probably turn up some info though.

It also may be a good idea to see what the partition table looks like using Partition Magic, Norton Ghost, fdisk, or some other tool.

Reply 11 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Type in HELP

and then it's FIXMBR or FIXBOOT IIRC. Been a long time since I played around with recovery console.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline