User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Output=Opengl
Shader=HDRish.pss modified
Graphics Card=X800 5.8 drivers.
Scaler=normal2x
(Shaders can only be applied via Opengl and OpenGLNB runs like crap so don't blame me for the crappy quality)

On most DOS games it pretty much has the same effect as increasing the gamma.....

Monkey Island 1 with HDR modified to 25%
Doom 1 with HDR modified to 20%

Attachments

• Doom1-HDR20.jpg
    Filename
    Doom1-HDR20.jpg
    File size
    31.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Doom1-NOHDR.jpg
    Filename
    Doom1-NOHDR.jpg
    File size
    30.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • MI1-NOHDR.jpg
    Filename
    MI1-NOHDR.jpg
    File size
    37.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • MI1-HDR25.jpg
    Filename
    MI1-HDR25.jpg
    File size
    37.8 KiB
    Views
    File license

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 13, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The nohdr shots look dull/dark, like the brightness is turned down too much by default since in the hdr shots shows graphic detail revealed once brightend, like the paneled walls of the building in the monkey island shots.

Reply 4 of 13, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting to see an HDR filter available but it doesn't get past the fact that HDR needs to be worked into the game from design. Personally I don't see the big deal with it - Far Cry was OK but pretty much killed anything below super PC, and the HL 'level?' Lost Coast demo videos didn't look 'that' impressive - given the massive spec PC you need to run it!

Reply 5 of 13, by GreatBarrier86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I disagee. You don't need a "massive" pc. I have a P4 2.8 with 512 ram and a radeon 9700 and it worked extremely well.

IBM ThinkPad X40
1.2Ghz with 2MB L2 cache
1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM
Intel 852/855GME Graphics Media Accelerator with 64MB
12'' LCD Screen
SoundMax Integrated Audio

Peas Pobie!

Reply 7 of 13, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GreatBarrier86 wrote:

I disagee. You don't need a "massive" pc. I have a P4 2.8 with 512 ram and a radeon 9700 and it worked extremely well.

Err.... quote from Anandtech:

The golden rule of Half Life 2 is this – regardless of what sort of graphics card you have (within reason), the game will run well, but at varying levels of image quality

Your 9700 card is a DX8 part and if so configured it's not giving you the 'whole' experience 🤐 Mind you some of the differences between the DX8 and 9 paths are very small but pennies make pounds as they say 😀

Edit: Here's the DX8 vs 9 screenshots - http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2281&p=2 Just take a look at that water 😀

Reply 8 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I'm tempted to get a newer ATI or nVidia card to replace my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB AGP, but I'll probably just live with it for a few months and then build a whole new computer early next year.

Reply 9 of 13, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

anything above r9500 is dx9...

Real HDR could not be achieved by simple (or complex for that matter) shader, as it requires some 3D math of the objects and lights...something most dos games don't even do themselves (remember that anything before quake1 is not a real 3d engine)

Reply 10 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about Descent? Did they just take the tricks used in Wolf3D/Doom to an extreme? I've always wondered about that, as it came out before Quake (from what I remember).

Reply 11 of 13, by GreatBarrier86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just ran the lost coast on my 9700, which the checker confirms is a DX9 card, and i got around 40fps with HDR set to Full. Actually full was the recommended setting.

IBM ThinkPad X40
1.2Ghz with 2MB L2 cache
1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM
Intel 852/855GME Graphics Media Accelerator with 64MB
12'' LCD Screen
SoundMax Integrated Audio

Peas Pobie!

Reply 13 of 13, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

What about Descent? Did they just take the tricks used in Wolf3D/Doom to an extreme? I've always wondered about that, as it came out before Quake (from what I remember).

Riiight, Descent is probably a "real" 3d engine. I don't know how I forgot about it, must have read too much bragging by Id 🤣. Since the source is available and there are already opengl ports I imagine HDR descent would be possible if somebody is up to the task 😁