VOGONS

Common searches

USB joystick

Topic actions

First post, by magik

User metadata

Hi,
I've just purchased a usb joystick and am trying to run it with dosbox. It doesn;t seem to be picking it up and i am wondering if there is anything i can do to get it working. It is being picked up by windows and works fine, just doesn't seem to work through dosbox. Should it work? and if so, how do i set it up.

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weird. When you start up DosBox is there a message in the console (the other DosBox window) about your joystick?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 14, by Guest

User metadata

yep - didn;t see that before - but it says using joystick logitech attack 3 with 3 axes and 11 buttons.

Does this simply mean the game i'm playing isn;t configured for the joystick? and dosbox sees it fine?

I'm playing sensible soccer and i've tgried the config to set up the joystick, but it simply says no joystick detected. and when i go into the game the joystick doesn;t work. except on the initial screen where if i click the fire button, it skips to the main menu, but then i can;t do anything.

is there anything you can suggest for this, or is this not DOSBOX related?

Reply 4 of 14, by Guest

User metadata

I've done the above, but no joy. I put it under the bios header, i assume thats correct. there was no joystick entry in the conf file to begin with.

Is it possible that the game itself does not see the joystick even if dosbox does? Its funny though that when i go into the game and click on the joystick fire button, in certain places it recognises it, but in others (like gameplay) it doesn't at all.

If i click the install for the game i can configure devices, but it just shows no joysticks were detected.

Should i be resigned to the fact that the game doesn't work with usb?

Reply 8 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure it works in Windows first by testing it on the game controllers control panel applet. Then make sure DOSBox reports it in the status window.

Games running inside DOSBox see all joysticks as gameport joysticks because that's all there was back in the days of DOS (so that's what DOSBox emulates no matter what interface you've got one connected on).

Reply 9 of 14, by Guest

User metadata

got it working finally!!

basically i fiddled and figured perhaps running the games install for controllers would work through dosbox itself.

I wasn;t doing this before i was doing this through windows - then running dosbox.

Probably a schoolbox error, but its sorted now.

Cheers for all your help guys. Exceptional response for a newbie like me.

Thanks again.

Now i just need to find some more games. Any ideas where from?

Reply 12 of 14, by Tiger-Heli

User metadata

I am having basically the same problems - see http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?show … =0&#entry181602

Questions - The USB joystick works fine in Windows, but not in the DOS program through DOSBOX. Even clicking the button to calibrate it does not work.

(I didn't check whether it was detected in the console - will look and report back).

Other questions - I am using DosBox 0.63 - Do I still need a CVS build? Does it matter which one (none of them specifically mention USB joystick support?

My dosbox.conf file has no mention of a joystick. Should it? What do I need to add and where do I add it?

Thanks again for a great program and all help!!!

Reply 13 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Click on "DosBox CVS Builds" in my signature and click on the "ykhwong's build". That's the most recently compiled CVS builds (11/15/2005).

If your .conf file doesn't mention Joystick then your using an old build.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline