VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by music_man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I used to play Genesia on out old computer and now I am on a new one and have tried running it through dos box.

The problem is that it is quite jerky. It says I am running it in 24 bpp mode and it will slow things down?

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried adjusting cycles/frameskip in DosBox?

DosBox gives you that error just in case 24bpp is causing slowdowns. Most likely it isn't and you just haven't modified your frameskip and cycles.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by music_man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded DOSBoxer and have it as:

Memory: 128
Frame skip: 2
Cycles: 4000
Mouse speed: 100
Sample rate: 22050
Allow EMS: y
Allow XMS: y
Fullscreen: y
Autograb: y

It seems to be the best combination but the game speed is still pretty slow. If I increase the cycles then the sound stuffs up (more than it does on this setting - which is not the best).

Regards.

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Adjusting memory to 128 isn't going to do anything since DosBox only supports a max of 64meg. Heck, you could probably up it to 999 but DosBox will only use 64mb.

Have you tried running "Top" or whatever other CPU utilization program your distro uses to monitor your processor usage? Chances are your using Core=normal which is alot slower than core=dynamic (Be aware that Dynamic mode is less compatible but alot faster).

Reply 5 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nah, "Top" is a command line program that you run from the terminal (Linux CLI) to monitor CPU usage (among other things) that your programs take up.

"Dynamic" is in your dosbox.conf.

Change core=normal to core=dynamic in dosbox.conf.