VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I'm trying to install/run The Even More Incredible Machine through DOSBox but it either says this program needs to be run in Windows mode or if I try the Install.dat it says it can't do anything with it [even though in the manual it says you need to run the install.dat]. I tried alot of things to get around this but it either ends up with DOSBox just freezing or closing.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 3, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

DAT file is not an executable... Neither DOS, nor Windows, nor DOSBOX nor anything else will ever run it...
How did you come to the conclusion that if something requires Windows to run, that you can take another file and it will run in DOS ?

It is certainly not written in any manual...

The only possibility is that there is a DOS installer somewhere (another INSTALL/SETUP.EXE file).

Mirek

Reply 3 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

install.dat is simply a data file. You cannot run a file that ends in .dat (well...ah nevermind). Anyways the only files you'll see for installing DOS games are install.exe, setup.exe, or install.com, setup.com or .bat.

If the setup.exe is telling you that it must be run under Windows then...run it under Windows. Running the setup.exe in DosBox is NOT running it under Windows.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline