VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For quite awhile now I've always been annoyed that DosBox didn't support "More" by default. Requiring 3rd party utilities to add the functionality of "4Dos" or simply adding the utility into a path environment in DosBox. I've always used it to view .txt files (or any file really) in DOS/9x/NT using "Type readme~1.txt | more".

So today I was going to add this to the wish list thread when I suddenly got the bright idea to try something else. So I load up DosBox and type in "Type readme~1.txt /p".....and it views the file one page at a time.

Now as far as I know this functionality wasn't included in MS-DOS and it certainly isn't included in 2000/XP/20003.

I decided to look through the DosBox documentation to see if there was any mention of this...but there wasn't. So there it 'tis folks, if like me you too have been frustrated by not being able to view a .txt file quickly and easily in dosbox and have had to switch back to the host to do so....now you don't.

So....should "more" be added since /p works? Since type /p isn't a standard (and isn't documented in DosBox.....) whereas "more" is more of a standard, should "more" functionality be added....especially since "more" is more flexible and can be used in more situations?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 12, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would not mind having most or all standard DOS utilities but 'more' would not be on the top of my list. There were a few old games that produced some text output through more during setup but I don't think any of them depended on more. For me the following would be higher priority: redirect/append (>>), copy/append (copy a+b), xcopy. The first is nice to have while troubleshooting, for the other two there are cases of broken games -- no matter how stupid sound setup in Discworld is, it requires xcopy to run properly.
BTW, you are absolutely right, type /p is not in any version of MS DOS. It just feels so natural that I never actually questioned it 😉

Reply 2 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

append is present (>>)
if it doesn't work properly submit a bug

type /p is is something from ykhwong. it's not present in the regular version as It's not in msdos 😀 but I might add it if you all find it very convienant.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 12, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My mistake, I did not notice that >> is working. I remember trying it some time ago (could be long time ago) and something did not work right. Well, it still has that issue with CR/LF but that's different story.

Reply 4 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, your right Qbix. It's only in ykhwong's build. Man, I should just rename each dosbox.exe to the name of the person who built it to differentiate between builds....

I agree with vasyl that "More" probably isn't that important compared to append, copy a+b, or xcopy....

But pausing at each screen is highly usefull..

Perhaps a /p option isn't necessary for "type". Could it automatically pause if output to console? Does anyone use type 1.txt > 2.txt for anything?

Reply 5 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

would be very unhandy.
implementing more shouldn't be that difficult though. as long there is a writable drive somewhere. else we have to store it in memory and I doubt that msdos did that.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just run edit.com inside DOSBox to view text files. Even the version that comes with WinXP in the \windows\system32 directory works in DOSBox. You can also view binary files as raw ASCII data by using the /78 parameter.

Reply 8 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure if Qbix wants to include edit or not. Although it would be usefull.......

Edit for me is too slow for viewing text files....and kinda unecessary if you just want to view a text file quickly.

Reply 11 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd forgotten about list.com! I used to use it all the time back in my DOS days as my primary text viewer.

For an editor I used to use some program (I think the name started with the letter 'p' but I'm not sure) that had a blue background and a red (or maybe grey) bar at the bottom?

I used Microsoft's edit.com to replace both of those (for the most part) once DOS 5 or 6 came out.

Reply 12 of 12, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As an editor, I use a program called "DCT File Editor" (e.exe), a fast and really small editor looking a lot like edit.com. It's german, though 😉