VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by EdusP

User metadata

Using DosBox without Hard Drive image is Ok , it emulates ems and xms and almost the complete environment. Now , when i boot DosBox with a 500 Mb Virtual Hard disk i created with MsDos 6.20 , himem.sys and emm386.exe cannot see upper memory acccess. Is that sort of a bug ?
Thank for reading. EdusP.

Reply 3 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Disable them in dosbox.conf, though it shouldn't matter.

How do you determine that upper memory is not present?
What does mem.exe (from dos) tell?

As parameters for emm386 try "RAM FRAME=E000",
if it (what?) still doesn't work please post the exact error
message and the relevant parts of config.sys

Reply 4 of 8, by EdusP

User metadata

With both ems and xms = true at dosbox.conf , when i boot , himem.sys tells me there is no extend memory found.
When i disable the xms and ems at dosbox.conf , himem.sys load fine , but emm386 tells Unable to set frame base address- ems unavaliable.
I think it is a sort of conflict between xms and ems emulaion (the internal DOS of DosBox) and what a real msdos try to find on the system , i dont know.
If you want my HDD image to try to find to what is happening ... i give you my email address. i have one 10 Mega Hdd image with msdos 6.20 with Norton utilities , Pctools Deluxe , Turbo pascal , turbo basic installed.
Thanks!

Reply 5 of 8, by EdusP

User metadata

With both ems and xms = true at dosbox.conf , when i boot , himem.sys tells me there is no extend memory found.
When i disable the xms and ems at dosbox.conf , himem.sys load fine , but emm386 tells Unable to set frame base address- ems unavaliable.
I think it is a sort of conflict between xms and ems emulaion (the internal DOS of DosBox) and what a real msdos try to find on the system , i dont know.
If you want my HDD image to try to find to what is happening ... i give you my email address. i have one 10 Mega Hdd image with msdos 6.20 with Norton utilities , Pctools Deluxe , Turbo pascal , turbo basic installed.
Thanks!

Reply 7 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
EdusP wrote:

You must set FRAME as WD said. It will complain, but it will work.

Mirek