VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Irokez

User metadata

From some time I couldn't run dosbox more than several minutes after start. I was doing many detailed tests and i figured out that dosbox isn't compatible with some patches of Win XP (patches that are made after SP2 was published - if I deinstall all patches and leave clear Win XP SP2 - everything is OK)

Reply 3 of 7, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have fully patched XP/SP2, no problems here. It is most likely some device driver issue. Update your drivers to the latest version. In the order of likelihood to cause issues, graphics driver goes first, closely followed by sound. What do you have in your system?

Reply 4 of 7, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I, as I'm sure many others also, have had no major issues with DOSBox on Windows XP pre or post SP2 and additional updates. I expect you'll find it's one of or a combination of drivers that causes your issues. Check out this article from MS: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci … b;en-us;Q314063

Reply 5 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Irokez wrote:

i figured out that dosbox isn't compatible with some patches of Win XP (patches that are made after SP2 was published

IMHO this is nonsense... Possibly problems with your graphic card drivers... How does it crash?

Mirek

Reply 6 of 7, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stop 0x0a is "IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL." This is almost definitely a driver bug. One particular case is when driver is not multi-CPU safe -- I've learned this through hard experience with Aureal A3D chip. Try disabling hyperthreading and see if that helps. If it does, search for updated drivers for your video and audio.

Reply 7 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL" is a driver issue, as vasyl said. The blue screen that you get will usually finger the offending file. If you call up the properties of the file, you can usually figure out what driver it belongs to.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers