VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm running dosbox 0.63 under both Linux (Fedora Core 4) and WinXP Pro. The configuration is the same for both.

Unfortunately, i've a problem with Eye of the Beholder 2. The audio is delayed by several seconds under Linux only. It works fine under WinXP. For example, once i click on a door button, i see the door close and once its closed i can hear the sound of the door closing. Very weird. It happens on all EYE2 sounds.

Other games work fine.

Any suggestions please?

--
sehh

Reply 2 of 8, by Guest

User metadata

99% of the config options are the same.

Here are the differences:

WinXP uses:
output=overlay
priority=highest,normal

Linux uses:
output=surface
priority=higher,normal

These are the settings i've changed for both OS's from their default values and they are common to both:

fullscreen=true
memsize=64
aspect=true
scaler=advmame2x
gus=false
disney=false

PS:
why is sampling rate at 22khz? most games use 44khz audio right?

PS2:
yes, i'm talking about the same computer (AthlonXP 2100+, 512meg ram, GeForce 5200 AGP 8x).

Reply 4 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

priority under linux only works if you are root. or made dosbox setuid root.

do you happen to run 24 bbp under linux ? and are you perhaps using something like arts ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think 24bpp may be slower than 16- or 32bpp in DOSBox (which is probably why Qbix asked)

Also, 22KHz is default for sound probably because it uses less CPU power to emulate. Most games back then only used 22KHz at the very most, but remember that in DOSBox you're also mixing emulated PC Speaker and Adlib/OPL sound into that...

Reply 8 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends on the complexity of the game really. 2-3GHz and a video card less than 2 years old should let you play most games that were originally made with an ISA video card in mind.