VOGONS

Common searches

Inconsistent Speeds drive me nuts.

Topic actions

First post, by EmperorsDynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The biggest problem I've been having with DOSBox (I'm using it to run TES: Arena) is the inconsistency with speeds. If one plays a game of today (not talking about DOSBOX) on their computer and they raise the settings to high it may run smooth in smaller enclosed areas and slowdown in larger, more crowded areas. However, if you adjust your settings so that the game runs smooth in the more stressed, crowded areas of a game, it will run smooth EVERYWHERE. This, however, is not the case with DOSBOX. If I adjust my CPU cycles to run Arena smoothly in the heart of a town, where the game is the most stressed, it will run TOO fast when I move to the city walls (away from buildings). The same occurs if I were to decrease the detail bar. It shouldn't be this way! Is there no way that I can get a smooth, steady speed throughout the game using DOSBOX? As I'm sure you were able to on a 486-DX2?

Reply 1 of 37, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, well it's been quite some time since I last played it on a 486DX2/66 or 100 (Back in 1996, IIRC).

Are you using Timesync? This adjusts the cycles in DosBox automagically increasing/decreasing the cycles as needed. It's likely that this would fix your problem. I'll see if I can test Arena today.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 37, by EmperorsDynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Timesync does make a difference but it doesn't eliminate the extreme polarities. Also, when I have timesync enabled it will often bring my CPU usage over 50% (which I believe on a HT CPU is equal to 100%). Timesync also doesn't really choose the appropriate CPU cycles because NPCs animations will be much too fast.

Reply 4 of 37, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just tried it and it does what he says. (Dunno what ver of Arena I have, haven't checked).

In Dyanmic in the dungeon I'm using 30,000 cycles and eating up 99%.
In Dynamic core in the town I'm using 30,000 cycles and eating up 60% processor.

The NPC's and your character move super fast. Best fix I have so far is to switch to "Normal" core by hitting
Ctrl +1 when you enter a town and then switching back to Dynamic core in the Dungeons by htting Ctrl +3.

This seems to work for me.

I was going to see how well it works on my host system but I don't have any EMS (ye ol' EMS mobo problem) and I don't feel like rebooting to fix it right now.

Reply 5 of 37, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could be the particular CVS build you're using, as using a vanilla CVS build and the floppy version of Arena I really don't see what you're describing. Then again, 30,000 cycles on dynamic seems just a tad high for my system in large towns and dungeons (gets a little choppy).

Reply 6 of 37, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm using ykhwong's. I'll just straight CVS later.

I'm using v1.06 of Arena.

Found out that the game has a slowdown function but it isn't very well implemented and not worth using. (Better to switch between Dynamic and Normal Core) If anyone wants to try it press the "+" or "-" keys to increase/decrease internal game speed. As I said it doesn't work very well tho.

Reply 8 of 37, by EmperorsDynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using v1.07 (CD Version) but I doubt that makes much of a difference - I have the same problem in 1.06 I'm using CVS version of DOSBox. I wasn't aware that you could change CPU core using hotkeys. Whether I use dynamic or normal, however, I will still have either slow speeds in the heart of a town and normal speeds on the outsides of the town near the walls (or indoors) OR I'll have smooth speeds inside the heart of a town and super-fast speeds near the walls. Just try it - go inside an alleyway inside a city, between a few buildings and swing your sword about. Then go out towards the city gates and swing it, it'll be much faster.

Is there a better version of DOSBox?

Reply 9 of 37, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think changing core via hotkeys is supported in vanilla CVS - I think it's an unofficial patch specific to either Gulikoza's and/or Ykhwong's build.

I do notice that the game is slower in large areas due to the fact that it's using a lot of CPU power, but nothing ever seems to move "super fast" for me - just smooth or not. The best thing to do to combat this is lower the detail setting in the game because I know that (like when I used to play on a 386DX33) it's due to my CPU not being powerful enough to emulate the game at full detail.

Reply 10 of 37, by EmperorsDynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

3200 ghZ isn't powerful enough? The thing is I CAN get it to be smooth in the heart of a town but it will be TOO fast if I go to a less stressful area like inside a building or on the outer parts of a town like around the city walls. So I don't think it's the processor. Like I said, it's as if you turned down the settings in Vivec (Morrowind) and it corrected your video lag but then made the game much too fast in Seyda Neen. =/

Reply 11 of 37, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would try using the AEP Emulatiuon/CVS Compile build instead of Gulikoza or Ykhwong before giving up. I'm wondering if it's one of those unofficial timesync patches or something that's screwing it up.

Reply 14 of 37, by Guest

User metadata

When I click on the download button in that link it brings me to a page with this message.

Access forbidden!

You tried to download a file from AEP Emulation Page, but we couldn't verify that you actually came from AEP.

Possible reasons:
- Someone is using our Downloads - we don't like this, traffic costs money
- Your firewall is blocking your referer - without referer we can't identify you, sorry

Possible solutions:
- If you came here from another page, go to http://www.aep-emu.de and start your download from there.
- If your firewall is blocking your referer, disable referer blocking.

Thanks 😀[/i

So I go to the page in "Possible solutions" and most of it's in german, so I can barely navigate my way around. When I do find the DOSBOX download on there it's version .63. If you could give me a link that direct opens up the zip/download for the CVS Compile Build I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 17 of 37, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone should mention the obvious thing, going to http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/ and clicking "dosbox" . I hope someone does that soon. 😉

Reply 18 of 37, by EmperorsDynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah ha! It WAS my firewall that was stopping me from downloading it! I'll try this and let you all know if I have the same problem. - Ehm...let's see...when I download it from there it basically gives me DOSBOX v.63 ...and there's no .config file either....

Last edited by EmperorsDynasty on 2005-11-30, 17:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 37, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm not using a weird download manager or so ?
it downloads fine at my place.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!